Am I solving this correctly? Acceleration of a car glidin down a curve

In summary, the problem involves a car resting on a curved path with known mass, angle, and radius. The car starts gliding backwards and the question asks for the acceleration at the start, both in magnitude and direction. Using Newton's laws and equations for centripetal and tangential acceleration, the forces involved (normal force, gravity force, and friction force) can be determined to find the tangential acceleration and solve for the normal force.
PhyIsOhSoHard

Homework Statement

ZiDFHm7.gif

A car is resting on a curved path in point A as seen in the picture. The mass of the car is known.
The angle θ and the radius of the curved path are known.
The kinetic coefficient of friction is known.

The car starts gliding backwards on the curved path. What is the acceleration of the car when it starts gliding from point A?
State both the magnitude and the direction of the acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by drawing the free body diagram. Since the acceleration of a circular motion is directed towards the center, then I already know the direction of the acceleration. I also draw the normal force (n) the gravity force (mg) and the kinetic friction force (fk):
AP8PiBd.gif

I rotate the coordinatesystem with θ degrees:
bmaKUuC.gif

I now use Newton's second law on the horizontal forces only (since there is no acceleration vertically).

[itex]\uparrow \sum F_y=ma_{rad}[/itex]
[itex]n-mg \cdot cos(\theta)=ma_{rad}[/itex]
[itex]a_{rad}=\frac{n}{m} \cdot g \cdot cos(\theta)[/itex]

But I don't know the normal force? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a guess but is it possible to use Newton's first law on the vertical forces:
[itex]f_k-mg \cdot sin(\theta)=0[/itex]

Inserting the definition of the friction force because we know the coefficient of friction:

[itex]\mu_k \cdot n - mg \cdot sin(\theta)=0[/itex]

Now solving for the normal force yields:
[itex]n=\frac{mg \cdot sin(\theta)}{\mu_k}[/itex]

And then inserting this expression for the normal force into the expression of the acceleration? What do you guys think?

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
Since the acceleration of a circular motion is directed towards the center, then I already know the direction of the acceleration.
That's only true for motion at constant speed. Since it will get faster, there is also tangential acceleration.

haruspex said:
That's only true for motion at constant speed. Since it will get faster, there is also tangential acceleration.

Oh, that's true. So are all my calculations wrong? :(

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
Oh, that's true. So are all my calculations wrong? :(
'fraid so.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
'fraid so.

Do you have any suggestions to some other formulas I can use? I've really tried to think this through and that was the best I could come up with.

The initial state is at rest. What is the usual expression for centripetal acceleration?
What equation can you write for the tangential forces?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
The initial state is at rest. What is the usual expression for centripetal acceleration?
What equation can you write for the tangential forces?

This is the centripetal acceleration:
[itex]a_{rad}=\frac{v^2}{R}[/itex]

I've thought about this expression a lot but couldn't use it in any way. R is known, however if I assume that the velocity is zero because it's initially at rest, then that would make the radial acceleration zero?

For a non-uniform motion, I know that the tangential acceleration is the rate of change in speed:
[itex]a_{tan}=\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/itex]

But here I don't have any info about the time or again the speed.

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
This is the centripetal acceleration:
[itex]a_{rad}=\frac{v^2}{R}[/itex]

I've thought about this expression a lot but couldn't use it in any way. R is known, however if I assume that the velocity is zero because it's initially at rest, then that would make the radial acceleration zero?
Exactly.
For a non-uniform motion, I know that the tangential acceleration is the rate of change in speed:
[itex]a_{tan}=\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/itex]

But here I don't have any info about the time or again the speed.
But you know the forces. Now that you know there is no radial acceleration, you can write down the usual ƩF=ma equations for the radial and tangential directions and deduce the tangential acceleration.
(It's remarkable how often the first response needed to a post is the advice to write out those equations.)

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Exactly.

But you know the forces. Now that you know there is no radial acceleration, you can write down the usual ƩF=ma equations for the radial and tangential directions and deduce the tangential acceleration.
(It's remarkable how often the first response needed to a post is the advice to write out those equations.)

So for the radial acceleration:
[itex]\sum F=m\cdot 0[/itex]

But what forces do I use here? I have to use the forces that work on the direction of the radial acceleration but if this radial acceleration is 0, how do I determine if I need the forces in the x or y direction?

Tangential direction:
[itex]\sum F=m\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/itex]

I know that the radial direction is perpendicular on the velocity and the tangential acceleration is parallel to the velocity. But how do I determine what forces that need to be applied for the radial and tangential accelerations? :)

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
So for the radial acceleration:
[itex]\sum F=m\cdot 0[/itex]

But what forces do I use here? I have to use the forces that work on the direction of the radial acceleration but if this radial acceleration is 0, how do I determine if I need the forces in the x or y direction?
You want the forces in the radial direction, regardless of whether there is radial acceleration.
Tangential direction:
[itex]\sum F=m\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/itex]

I know that the radial direction is perpendicular on the velocity and the tangential acceleration is parallel to the velocity. But how do I determine what forces that need to be applied for the radial and tangential accelerations? :)
Again, it's the forces in the tangential direction. Look at your FBD. Which forces have components in that direction, and what are those component values?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
You want the forces in the radial direction, regardless of whether there is radial acceleration.

Again, it's the forces in the tangential direction. Look at your FBD. Which forces have components in that direction, and what are those component values?

Okay, so for the radial acceleration, I have the forces:
[itex]n-mg\cdot cos(\theta)=0[/itex]

And for the tangential acceleration, I have:
[itex]mg\cdot sin(\theta)-f_k=m\frac{|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/itex]

But what do I do about the [itex]\frac{|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/itex]? I don't have any velocity?

Or perhaps you want me to write it this way instead:
[itex]mg\cdot sin(\theta)-f_k=m\cdot a_{tan}[/itex]

So it is [itex]a_{tan}[/itex] that causes the initial acceleration when the car starts to move, correct?

If that is the case, I can isolate [itex]a_{tan}[/itex] and find an expression for it and use the formula for the radial acceleration and find an expression for the normal force which I can use to determine the friction force, right?

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
And for the tangential acceleration, I have:
[itex]mg\cdot sin(\theta)-f_k=m\frac{|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/itex]

But what do I do about the [itex]\frac{|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/itex]? I don't have any velocity?
Just because the velocity is zero initially doesn't mean the rate of change of velocity is zero at that point.
Or perhaps you want me to write it this way instead:
[itex]mg\cdot sin(\theta)-f_k=m\cdot a_{tan}[/itex]
Same thing.
So it is [itex]a_{tan}[/itex] that causes the initial acceleration when the car starts to move, correct?

If that is the case, I can isolate [itex]a_{tan}[/itex] and find an expression for it and use the formula for the radial acceleration and find an expression for the normal force which I can use to determine the friction force, right?
Right.
One way to think about this problem is that the car doesn't 'know' the track is going to curve. The acceleration and velocity at t=0 are exactly as though it were a straight slope.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Just because the velocity is zero initially doesn't mean the rate of change of velocity is zero at that point.

Same thing.

Right.
One way to think about this problem is that the car doesn't 'know' the track is going to curve. The acceleration and velocity at t=0 are exactly as though it were a straight slope.

Cool, that makes sense. :)
So if I were to find the direction of the acceleration, that would be easy since the velocity is zero initially that means we have zero radial acceleration and so in order to find the vector acceleration from the radial and tangential acceleration we get:

[itex]\vec{a}=\sqrt{a_{rad}^2+a_{tan}^2}=\sqrt{0+a_{tan}^2}=a_{tan}[/itex]

So our acceleration is equal to the tangential acceleration and so they have the same direction, which would be [itex]180\deg+\theta[/itex]

ZmA6FZW.gif

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
Cool, that makes sense. :)
So if I were to find the direction of the acceleration, that would be easy since the velocity is zero initially that means we have zero radial acceleration and so in order to find the vector acceleration from the radial and tangential acceleration we get:

[itex]\vec{a}=\sqrt{a_{rad}^2+a_{tan}^2}=\sqrt{0+a_{tan}^2}=a_{tan}[/itex]

So our acceleration is equal to the tangential acceleration and so they have the same direction, which would be [itex]180\deg+\theta[/itex]

ZmA6FZW.gif
Yes.

Likes 1 person

Related to Am I solving this correctly? Acceleration of a car glidin down a curve

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of a car gliding down a curve?

The acceleration of a car gliding down a curve can be calculated by dividing the change in its velocity by the time it takes to make the change. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a car on a curved path?

The acceleration of a car on a curved path is affected by the car's weight, the angle of the curve, and the friction between the tires and the road. Other factors such as air resistance and the car's engine power may also play a role.

3. Is the acceleration of a car on a curved path constant?

No, the acceleration of a car on a curved path is not constant. As the car moves along the curve, its velocity and direction are constantly changing, resulting in a changing acceleration. However, the magnitude of the acceleration can be constant at certain points along the curve.

4. How does the acceleration of a car on a curved path compare to that of a car on a straight path?

The acceleration of a car on a curved path is generally lower than that of a car on a straight path, as the car's motion is constrained by the curve. Additionally, the acceleration on a curved path is not always in the direction of motion, unlike on a straight path.

5. Can the acceleration of a car on a curved path be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a car on a curved path can be negative. This occurs when the car is decelerating, or slowing down, while moving along the curve. However, the negative acceleration can also be referred to as the car's rate of change in velocity in a negative direction.