Efficiently Solving Large Equation Systems in Particle Penetration Calculations

• Thread starter nille40
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the equation system becomes too big to handle, so the author tried solving it using a matrix and inverting that, but half way, the matrix didn't even fit on his computer screen.
nille40
Hi!
I'm trying to calculate the probability for a particle to penetrate a potential well. The problem is that to calculate this, one must solve an equation system that becomes to big. I tried solving it using a matrix and inverting that, but half way, the matrix didn't even fit on my computer screen...

These are the equations:

[tex]e^{ika} + Re^{-ika} = Ae^{ima} + Be^{-ima}[/tex]
[tex]Te^{ikb} = Ae^{imb} + Be^{-imb}[/tex]
[tex]ke^{ika} - Rkae^{-ika} = mAe^{ima} - mBe^{-ima}[/tex]
[tex]kTe^{ikb} = imAe^{imb} - mBe^{-imb}[/tex]

I tried substituting some common parts, but that didn't help much. How can I solve this? What method should I use?

Thanks in advance,
Nille

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by nille40
[tex]e^{ika} + Re^{-ika} = Ae^{ima} + Be^{-ima}[/tex]
[tex]Te^{ikb} = Ae^{imb} + Be^{-imb}[/tex]
[tex]ke^{ika} - Rkae^{-ika} = mAe^{ima} - mBe^{-ima}[/tex]
[tex]kTe^{ikb} = imAe^{imb} - mBe^{-imb}[/tex]
I'm counting eight unkowns and only 4 equations. Are the m, k, a, and b given? If so, then this system is straightforward: just use either the first and third or second and last equations to solve for A and B in terms of either R or T. Then, use this expression in the remaining two equations to solve for R and T.

I'm not so sure I understand the physical situation here. Are you approximating the wavefunction in a momentum eigenstate that has a positive energy with respect to the potential at infinity?

Last edited:
Thanks for responding!
There are 4 unknowns.

k and m is given by a differential equation (schrödingers time independent equation)

a and b are limits for a barrier (start and end).

What I need is R, T, A and B.
Generally, it is not very hard to solve a system of 4 equations. The problem with this one is that the expressions become to big to handle.

The physical aspect of this problem is to calculate the probability for a particle to pass through a barrier (a potential well). There's a probability to find the particle before the barrier, given by Schrödingers time independent equation:

[tex]\psi (x) = e^{ikx} + R e^{-ikx}[/tex] (incoming and reflected wave)

There's a probability to find the particle in the barrier, given by [tex]\psi (x) = Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}[/tex]

And there's a probability to find the particle after the barrier, given by

[tex]\psi (x) = Te^{ikx}[/tex] (One direction only).

These three functions should be connected in x=a and x=b, so it gives a continginous function. This gives 2 equations. 2 more equations can be derived, giving 4 functions and 4 unknowns - an equation system.

So the variables that should be calculated are R, T, A and B, where [tex]|T|^2[/tex] is the probability for the particle to penetrate the barrier.

It shouldn't be that hard to solve this, but I haven't done equation systems for a while. I would really appreciate some help...

Thanks in advance,
Nille

OK, what I said in my previous post should solve the equation, but there seems to be something missing. I am suspicious that the incident wave is not properly normalized. Shouldn't you leave the coefficient of the incident part arbitrary at this point, and then include a fifth equation:

|I|2 = |R|2 + |T|2?

I don't remember this problem exactly, and could certainly be wrong about this, so please don't take this the wrong way. I just don't want you to do the work for nothing.

YOu only need those three equations.

such that each is < 1, (for probability)

remember... different mediums gives you independent probs and you can say (prob1)*(prob2)*Prob3 gives you total probability (5th equation)

such that total prob < 1

through out the complex plane, sum of forces (from physics) (its all decaying or reverse anyway, regardless of the incendent angle, remember... i haven't done the problem.

through out e, maybe use 2.5 or something -to see if the computer is messing you up.

I'd hate tot take to prob eq form you , but if yo can figure out how to thorw th complex plane away, it's probably all you need.

1. What are really big equation systems?

Really big equation systems are mathematical models that involve a large number of equations and variables. They are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to describe complex systems and predict their behavior.

2. Why are really big equation systems important?

Really big equation systems are important because they allow us to understand and analyze complex systems that cannot be described using a single equation. They can help us make predictions, solve problems, and improve our understanding of the world around us.

3. What are some common methods used to solve really big equation systems?

There are several methods used to solve really big equation systems, including Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and iterative methods such as Jacobi and Gauss-Seidel. The most appropriate method depends on the size and complexity of the system.

4. Can really big equation systems have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for really big equation systems to have multiple solutions. In some cases, these solutions may be equivalent or similar, while in others they may be drastically different. It is important to carefully analyze the system and its solutions to ensure accuracy.

5. How are really big equation systems used in real-world applications?

Really big equation systems are used in various real-world applications, such as weather forecasting, economic modeling, and engineering design. They can also be used to analyze and optimize complex systems, such as transportation networks and power grids. In these applications, the equations are often updated and refined with new data to improve the accuracy of predictions and solutions.