Am I Bad at Math if I Have to Look Up Formulas?

• Thread starter bballwaterboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary: While it is not necessary to have everything memorized, it can be useful to have some things memorized in order to save time and effort in certain situations.In summary, memorization of mathematical formulas may not be necessary for an undergraduate degree or career in applied maths, as long as you have a good understanding of the concepts and can recognize the big picture. However, it can be useful to have some formulas memorized in certain situations. And, if you do struggle with memorization, there are resources available to help refresh your memory. In the real world, it is acceptable and even encouraged to take a quick break to look up a formula to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
bballwaterboy
Quick background:

Community college student with quite a love for philosophy, mathematics, history, and politics.

I'll be transferring to a four-year institution next year to complete my undergraduate degree (undecided major, but leaning towards a double or possibly even triple major in those fields above).

I am by no means stellar at any of those fields per se, but simply enjoy them greatly and get good grades in them.

One question I have concerning mathematics is whether or not memorization of formulas is something that is absolutely necessary for either an undergraduate degree in it or possibly a career using applied maths? I find myself frequently having to look up formulas or rules for certain mathematical operations (if I haven't used them in a few months), despite having aced exams using them in the past. I possibly have a bad math formula and rules memory, but can recognize the big picture and what to do in mathematical problems to find solutions (despite forgetting formulas).

Are there those who've gone on to successfully complete a math undergraduate degree/minor or a career using applied maths, who have memorization problems like this? Also, in the "real" work world, is it feasible to take a quick break to look up a math formula or rule of some sort to solve a problem? Or, would that be embarrassing and/or indicate too low of a level of proficiency to be effective in the work force?

Appreciate your thoughts in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
bballwaterboy said:
Quick background:

Community college student with quite a love for philosophy, mathematics, history, and politics.

I'll be transferring to a four-year institution next year to complete my undergraduate degree (undecided major, but leaning towards a double or possibly even triple major in those fields above).

I am by no means stellar at any of those fields per se, but simply enjoy them greatly and get good grades in them.

One question I have concerning mathematics is whether or not memorization of formulas is something that is absolutely necessary for either an undergraduate degree in it or possibly a career using applied maths? I find myself frequently having to look up formulas or rules for certain mathematical operations (if I haven't used them in a few months), despite having aced exams using them in the past. I possibly have a bad math formula and rules memory, but can recognize the big picture and what to do in mathematical problems to find solutions (despite forgetting formulas).

Are there those who've gone on to successfully complete a math undergraduate degree/minor or a career using applied maths, who have memorization problems like this? Also, in the "real" work world, is it feasible to take a quick break to look up a math formula or rule of some sort to solve a problem?

If you don't use it frequently, you will forget it. That's just how the brain works.

Generally, in the real world, if you ever need to look up a formula it's in order to use it in a computer program or a spreadsheet. You only do that once and you're done, but the computer is then applying the formula in hundreds or thousands of cases. It is imperative that you get it right and not rely on your possibly inaccurate memory. Look it up, even if you think you're sure. The vast majority of your time will be spent either finding the data which is fed into the program or interpreting and communicating the results.

Likes FactChecker
bballwaterboy said:
Quick background:

Are there those who've gone on to successfully complete a math undergraduate degree/minor or a career using applied maths, who have memorization problems like this? Also, in the "real" work world, is it feasible to take a quick break to look up a math formula or rule of some sort to solve a problem? Or, would that be embarrassing and/or indicate too low of a level of proficiency to be effective in the work force?

Appreciate your thoughts in advance!
This is why handbooks and other reference materials are published: to provide a quick and easy means to refresh your memory of certain knowledge after it has been learned initially.

Generally, mental skills, like physical ones, will fade over time if you do not practice them regularly. Working and solving problems is one way to keep mentally fit, just like physical exercise can keep your body fit.

As far as memorization goes, that is another mental skill which can be sharpened by specialized training and practice.

Likes symbolipoint

Related to Am I Bad at Math if I Have to Look Up Formulas?

1. Am I considered bad at math if I have to look up formulas?

No, looking up formulas does not necessarily mean you are bad at math. It is common for even the most skilled mathematicians to use references and resources to aid in their work.

2. Does needing to look up formulas mean I have a poor understanding of math concepts?

Not necessarily. Looking up formulas may simply mean that you need a refresher or are working on a new or complex problem. As long as you understand how to use the formula and the underlying concepts, you are not considered to have a poor understanding of math.

3. Can I still be successful in math if I have to look up formulas?

Yes, absolutely. Being successful in math is not determined by whether or not you have to look up formulas. It is more important to have a strong understanding of math concepts and the ability to apply them in problem-solving.

4. Is it better to memorize formulas or look them up?

It depends on the situation. Some formulas may be useful to memorize, especially if they are frequently used or related to basic math concepts. However, for more complex formulas or ones that are not used as often, it may be more efficient to look them up when needed.

5. Should I be embarrassed if I have to look up formulas?

No, there is no reason to be embarrassed. Math is a subject that requires practice and continuous learning. It is completely normal to use resources and references to aid in your understanding and problem-solving. The important thing is that you are continuously learning and improving your math skills.