Aluminum alloys hardness measurement

In summary, when comparing Rockwell B and Rockwell E for measuring the hardness of aluminum alloys, it is generally recommended to use Rockwell B due to its wider range of applicability. However, if measuring thinner specimens is a priority, Rockwell E may be a better option as it allows for measurement of thinner specimens. It is also important to consider the load and thickness of the specimen when selecting a hardness scale. Overall, while Rockwell testing can be useful for aluminum alloys, it may not be the most accurate or easily convertible option. Other hardness scales, such as Vickers, may be better suited for this purpose.
shushu97
Hello

Rockwell B or Rockwell E - which one is better to measure the hardness of aluminum alloys?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rockwell B has a wider wide range of applicability judging by the test comparison data. Consider http://www.newageinstruments.com/problems-in-rockwell-testing.pdf
Test your given alloy and check the typical indentation- is it small compared to your thickness. Are the results repeatable? Of course Rockwell is not much good as descriptor of other properties so the scale is usually decreed by other considerations.

Thanks!
I know B is a wider scale but I am only interested in measuring aluminum alloys.
There is also a rule of thumb that the higher the load the better (B is 100 kg with 1/16" steel sphere compared to 100 kg with 1/8" steel sphere in E).
Another rule of thumb says the specimen thickness should be ten times the indentation penetration which is (130-Hardness number)/500 in mm. So E will enable me to measure thiner specimens than B.
I don't know how accurate the conversion between hardness scales really is.

Thanks!
I know B is a wider scale but I am only interested in measuring aluminum alloys.
There is also a rule of thumb that the higher the load the better (B is 100 kg with 1/16" steel sphere compared to 100 kg with 1/8" steel sphere in E).
Another rule of thumb says the specimen thickness should be ten times the indentation penetration which is (130-Hardness number)/500 in mm. So E will enable me to measure thiner specimens than B.
I don't know how accurate the conversion between hardness scales really is.

Rockwell B is a better option.

Related to Aluminum alloys hardness measurement

1. What is the purpose of measuring hardness in aluminum alloys?

Measuring hardness in aluminum alloys is important for determining the strength and durability of the material. This information is crucial for selecting the appropriate alloy for a specific application, as well as for quality control in manufacturing processes.

2. What are the different methods for measuring hardness in aluminum alloys?

There are several methods for measuring hardness in aluminum alloys, including Brinell, Rockwell, Vickers, and Knoop hardness tests. Each method uses a different type of indenter and measures the material's resistance to indentation under a specific load.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of hardness measurements in aluminum alloys?

The accuracy of hardness measurements in aluminum alloys can be affected by several factors, such as the composition and microstructure of the alloy, the type of indenter used, the load applied, and the surface finish of the sample. It is important to carefully control these variables to ensure accurate and consistent results.

4. How is the hardness of aluminum alloys related to their mechanical properties?

The hardness of aluminum alloys is closely related to their mechanical properties, such as tensile strength, yield strength, and ductility. Generally, as the hardness of an alloy increases, its strength also increases, but its ductility decreases. This relationship is important to consider when selecting an alloy for a specific application.

5. Can the hardness of aluminum alloys change over time?

Yes, the hardness of aluminum alloys can change over time due to factors such as exposure to high temperatures, mechanical stress, and corrosion. It is important to regularly monitor the hardness of these alloys to ensure they maintain their desired properties for their intended use.