Alternator connected to a long line

In summary, the answer to the homework question is D. The book says that the steady state terminal voltage would not be substantially different than the time 0+ voltage, while holding field voltage constant.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-14_19-11-30.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

I think right answer should be A. Long line on no load is like capacitor so due to ferranti effect the terminal voltage is high. Now when alterator is disconnected the terminal voltage will drop to Ef

The Attempt at a Solution

Book says answer is D. It says due to Ferranti effect, terminal voltage does not change and field current decreases. that's the only explanation given.
Am I wrong or is book wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-14_19-11-30.png
    upload_2018-1-14_19-11-30.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 733
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. The capacitive current of the transmission line has no place to flow except back to the generator. No matter what the voltage regulator does, the current through the sending end breaker can not be zero prior to opening. So if we interrupt that capacitive current, the terminal voltage should drop instantaneously.

The only question should be, "Would the steady state terminal voltage be substantially different than the time 0+ voltage, while holding field voltage constant?" I would have to think about that. Ping @jim hardy.

Anyhow, option D sounds very unlikely.

I should add that the premise of the problem is unrealistic. It is the receiving end of the long line that will experience the highest voltages; potentially damaging over-voltages. Following radial load rejection, frequency also starts increasing rapidly driving receiving end voltage still higher. We would not allow that to persist until steady state before tripping the sending end breaker.

You just made me remember from 50 years ago, my first patent was for a device that diagnosed that situation and initiated an immediate trip.

Well it's a pretty safe bet the field gets DC so with constant field voltage one expects constant field current.

Capacitive load current on an alternator produces armature reaction MMF that reinforces the field MMF
so removing that capacitive load will lower flux, in turn lowering terminal voltage.

Is this the same textbook as in your other thread ?
My Mother-In-Law ( a great lady) was a textbook editor for a major publisher.
It is not uncommon for authors to have students write the study example problems .
My Mother-In-Law hired local graduate students to check them for her and she'd resolve mistakes with the author. (There was never a shortage of Grad Students needing part time work in New York City.)
I suggest you approach teacher, if you find the book is fraught with mistakes it reeks of sloppy authoring and editing. Your department head should lodge a complaint with the publisher and the department should go back to a better book.

That's my opinion..

If you find I'm wrong in my analysis please advise.

LATE EDIT see also https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/armature-reaction-drop.826513/#post-5191404

Related to Alternator connected to a long line

What is an alternator?

An alternator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is typically used in vehicles to charge the battery and power the electrical systems.

How does an alternator work?

An alternator works by using a belt connected to the engine to spin a rotor inside a stator. As the rotor spins, it creates a magnetic field that induces an electrical current in the stator windings.

What is a long line in relation to an alternator?

A long line in relation to an alternator refers to the length of the electrical wiring connecting the alternator to the battery and other electrical systems in a vehicle. The longer the line, the more resistance there is in the circuit, which can affect the performance of the alternator.

What are the potential issues with connecting an alternator to a long line?

Some potential issues with connecting an alternator to a long line include voltage drop, which can lead to decreased charging efficiency and potential damage to the alternator. It can also cause fluctuations in electrical current and damage to other components in the electrical system.

How can the performance of an alternator connected to a long line be improved?

The performance of an alternator connected to a long line can be improved by using high-quality, properly sized wiring and ensuring all connections are clean and secure. It may also be beneficial to install a voltage regulator or a capacitor to help stabilize the electrical current. Regular maintenance and inspection of the alternator and electrical system can also help prevent any potential issues.