Alternatives To The Wayback Machine?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to find a Craigslist ad that has expired. They mention trying the Wayback machine, but it was not in the archives. They ask for any other ideas, to which the response suggests that once content is deleted, it is most likely gone. They also suggest trying a Google search or using a machine called the WABAC machine.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Right upfront: I'm a noob at this.

How can I find a Craigslist ad that has expired? I tried the Wayback machine, it didn't have it in the archives.

Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
lisab said:
Right upfront: I'm a noob at this.

How can I find a Craigslist ad that has expired? I tried the Wayback machine, it didn't have it in the archives.

Any ideas?
Once things like that are deleted, they're most likely gone, content like that is not worth anyone archiving.

Maybe you were looking for this machine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WABAC_machine

Alternatively have you tried google searches if its unique enough maybe google captured a copy.

Related to Alternatives To The Wayback Machine?

1. What is the Wayback Machine and why would someone look for alternatives?

The Wayback Machine, created by the Internet Archive, is a digital archive of the World Wide Web. It allows users to access and view old versions of websites. Some people may look for alternatives because the Wayback Machine does not have a comprehensive collection of all websites and some websites may not be archived.

2. What are some popular alternatives to the Wayback Machine?

Some popular alternatives to the Wayback Machine include Archive.is, PageFreezer, and Archive.today. These websites also offer the ability to view archived versions of websites, but may have different collections and features compared to the Wayback Machine.

3. Do these alternatives have the same features as the Wayback Machine?

No, each alternative may have different features and collections compared to the Wayback Machine. For example, some alternatives may have a more extensive collection of websites, while others may offer additional features such as keyword searching within archived pages.

4. Are these alternatives reliable sources of information?

While these alternatives may provide access to archived websites, it is important to note that the accuracy and reliability of the information may vary. Some websites may not be archived correctly, and the content may have been altered or removed from the original website.

5. How can I contribute to these alternatives?

Each alternative may have different ways to contribute, such as donating to the website or submitting websites for archiving. You can check the website's FAQ or contact them directly to find out how you can contribute to their efforts.