Alternative Fuels; Gasoline to LPG conversion

• Thread starter megashawn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gasoline
In summary, converting a gasoline engine to run on propane is a relatively simple process, and can be done with a few inexpensive modifications.
megashawn
Science Advisor
I recently read an article in an offroad magazine to convert gasoline engines to propane.

I was wondering if anyone would have any clue about where to find more info on this subject. I've found a rather dated Do It yourself guide http://www.wps.com/LPG/lpg-how-to-book.html#BEFORE%20YOU%20BUILD Anyhow, as Hank Hill has taught us, propane is a clean gas, its plentiful, and a lot cheaper.

I've got an old Datsun pickup with a 2.2l 4 cylinder. I thought this would be a perfect candidate for a propane conversion. There is plenty of room under the hood, and plenty of room in the bed for tanks and such.

It seems all that is needed is a different carb. I would also like to find out if it would be possible to convert a fuel injected vehicle to run of propane.

Any information would be appreciated.

So far I've noticed Impco seems to sell do it yourself kits, I was just wondering if others thought this a reasonable waste of time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a Plymouth Sundance with a 2.5L 4-cyl. that all I had to do is remove the fuel pump fuse, and send propane into one of the vacuum hoses and it would run just like on gasoline.

Might be worth a try... :)

Typically you will need a different carburetor (much simpler than gasoline) and a regulator/vaporizer. The vaporizer runs engine coolant through it to heat the liquid propane to the vapor state. The regulator portion simply meters in the correct amount of propane. There is NO mechanical connection between the regulator and the throttle. There IS a conventional butterfly valve for the throttle. There may or may not be a choke. There sometimes is a primer button that may or may not be electrically actuated.

Arctic Fox said:
I had a Plymouth Sundance with a 2.5L 4-cyl. that all I had to do is remove the fuel pump fuse, and send propane into one of the vacuum hoses and it would run just like on gasoline.

Might be worth a try... :)

I’ve now a '93 Plymouth Duster that I’m converting to run dual fuel with propane. Information on what I find will be posted on my site forums:
http://arctic.ithium.net/IPB1.3/index.php?showtopic=136

I hope you all will post how it turns out!

Related to Alternative Fuels; Gasoline to LPG conversion

1. What is the difference between gasoline and LPG?

Gasoline is a liquid fuel made from crude oil, while LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) is a gaseous fuel made from natural gas or petroleum. LPG has a higher octane rating and burns more cleanly than gasoline, making it a more environmentally friendly option.

2. Why would someone want to convert their vehicle from gasoline to LPG?

There are several reasons why someone may want to convert their vehicle to run on LPG. LPG is typically less expensive than gasoline, making it a more cost-effective option in the long run. It also produces fewer emissions, which can help reduce air pollution and contribute to a cleaner environment.

3. Can any vehicle be converted from gasoline to LPG?

In most cases, yes. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that your specific vehicle is suitable for conversion and to ensure that the conversion is done safely and properly.

4. How long does the conversion process take?

The conversion process can vary depending on the vehicle and the conversion method used. In general, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day to complete the conversion.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to converting a vehicle to run on LPG?

While there are many benefits to converting a vehicle to run on LPG, there are also some potential drawbacks. LPG may not be as readily available as gasoline in some areas, and the initial cost of conversion can be expensive. Additionally, the range of the vehicle may be slightly reduced when running on LPG compared to gasoline.

Back