Alternating partial sums of a series

In summary: Yes, Taylor's theorem can be used to write a proof for this problem. It can be used to show that the difference between the partial sums and the full sum converges to 0, which would prove that the partial sums bound the full sum from above and below alternately. However, the qualitative argument using the alternating series property may be easier to understand and visualize.
spaghetti3451
Consider the Taylor series expansion of ##e^{-x}## as follows:

##\displaystyle{e^{-x}=1-x+\frac{x^{2}}{2}-\frac{x^{3}}{6}+\dots}##

For ##x>0##, the partial sums ##1##, ##1-x##, ##\displaystyle{1-x+\frac{x^{2}}{2}}## bound ##e^{-x}## from above and from below alternately.

How do I prove this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
Consider the Taylor series expansion of ##e^{-x}## as follows:

##\displaystyle{e^{-x}=1-x+\frac{x^{2}}{2}-\frac{x^{3}}{6}+\dots}##

For ##x>0##, the partial sums ##1##, ##1-x##, ##\displaystyle{1-x+\frac{x^{2}}{2}}## bound ##e^{-x}## from above and from below alternately.

How do I prove this?
Be clear what you are trying to prove: that
1 > e-x, and
1-x < e-x, etc.

Yes.

I am looking for a proof that covers all the cases ##1>e^{-x}, 1-x<e^{-x}, \dots## at once.

failexam said:
Yes.

I am looking for a proof that covers all the cases ##1>e^{-x}, 1-x<e^{-x}. \dots## at once.
Ok, so what does it say about the sum of the rest of the terms in the expansion in each case?

Well, it say that ##1-e^{-x}>0, 1-x-e^{-x}<0, \dots##.

failexam said:
I am looking for a proof that covers all the cases 1>e−x,1−x<e−x,…1>e−x,1−x<e−x,…1>e^{-x}, 1-x
Ok, that edit happened while I was replying.
That was not clear from the OP. It looked like you were only asking for those three specific partial expansions.
Anyway, my hint in post #4 still applies.

But, it's difficult to start the general proof since there are two separate cases.

Are we supposed to prove two inequalities, one for even partial sums and one for odd partial sums?

this is a typical alternating series. each term is smaller than the previous one and the signs alternate. It follows that any partial sum ending in a plus sign is larger than any partial sum ending in a minus sign, hence also larger than the full sum, etc...I.e. the partial sums are jumping back and forth across the full sum, or final limit. draw a picture, as this is essentially obvious.

i.e. start from home and go a block north. then go back a 1/2 block south. you are obviously somewhere between home and the first block. then go back 1/4 block north. you are obviously somewhere between the 1/2 block point and the one block point...

in answer to your question, yes there do seem to be two cases.the best discussion i know of for series including alternating ones is in courant's calculus.

here is a free copy:

https://archive.org/details/DifferentialIntegralCalculusVolI

The qualititative argument works well for me.

But, just for further info, do you think Taylor's theorem can be used to write a proof?

Related to Alternating partial sums of a series

What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a type of mathematical series where the terms alternate between positive and negative values. For example, the series 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 - ... is an alternating series.

What are partial sums of a series?

Partial sums of a series refer to the sum of a certain number of terms in a series. For example, the first partial sum of the series 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... would be 1, the second partial sum would be 3, the third partial sum would be 6, and so on.

What is the alternating partial sums of a series?

The alternating partial sums of a series is the sum of the first n terms in an alternating series. It is used to approximate the value of the entire series.

How do you find the alternating partial sums of a series?

To find the alternating partial sums of a series, you can use the formula Sn = a1 + a2 + a3 + ... + an, where a1, a2, a3, ... are the terms of the series and n is the number of terms. You can also use a calculator or spreadsheet to calculate the partial sums.

What is the purpose of calculating alternating partial sums of a series?

The alternating partial sums of a series are used to determine if the series converges or diverges. If the partial sums approach a specific value as n increases, then the series is said to converge. If the partial sums do not approach a specific value, then the series is said to diverge.