Alternating Current Wheatstone-like Bridge

In summary, the goal of this problem is to find a frequency at which the voltage drop across several components of a circuit will be zero. The circuit is similar to a wheatstone bridge, but with inductors and capacitors replacing some of the resistors. The voltage applied is not DC, but is given by the formula \epsilon = \epsilon_o Cos(\omega t). The impedance of the capacitor and inductor is given by X_c = -\frac{i}{\omega C} and X_L = i \omega L, respectively, and their reactance is the magnitude in the imaginary plane. The attempt at a solution involved using Kirchoff's loop rule, but this was applied incorrectly leading to a negative value. The
ke7q

Homework Statement

The goal of this problem is to find a frequency at which the voltage drop across several components of a circuit will be zero. The circuit is identical to a wheatstone bridge (where two pairs of two resistors in series are wired in parallel) except that opposite (diagonally) resistors are replaced with identical ideal inductors, and the other two resistors are replaced with identical ideal capacitors. Also, the voltage applied is not a DC voltage, and is instead given by

[tex] \epsilon = \epsilon_o Cos(\omega t) [/tex]

Homework Equations

I know that the impedance of the capacitor and inductor are given by...

[tex] X_c = -\frac{i}{\omega C} [/tex]

[tex] X_L = i \omega L [/tex]

... and the reactance of these is just given by the magnitude of these in the imaginary plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

Even though the voltage drops across the inductors and capacitors are out of phase, my first thought was to use Kirchoff's rule and take a loop from one end of the current meter bridge to the other through one capacitor and one inductor. From this, I yield the equation that

[tex] Δ V_c = Δ V_L [/tex]
[tex] -i\frac{I}{\omega C} = i \omega L I [/tex]
[tex] -\frac{1}{\omega C} = \omega L [/tex]

which yields that

[tex] \omega^{2} = -\frac{1}{LC} [/tex]

But then I ran into a problem that I have a square of something that is supposed to be a real number being negative.

I considered just using the reactances from the beginning and just setting them equal, which yields the same as above, except for the minus sign, but I couldn't justify it.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
And, of course, right after I post this I realize my problem.

My issue was that I was applying Kirchoff's loop rule incorrectly. Because I am going "against" the current in one case, I pick up a minus sign and didn't realize it. Therefore, the frequency I would want so that there is no voltage drop across the bridge would be

[tex] \omega = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}} [/tex]

apologies for the spamish post on my very first post :/

Related to Alternating Current Wheatstone-like Bridge

1. What is an Alternating Current Wheatstone-like Bridge?

An Alternating Current Wheatstone-like Bridge is a type of electrical circuit that is used to measure the unknown value of a resistor. It is similar to the traditional Wheatstone Bridge, but uses an alternating current source instead of a direct current source.

2. How does an Alternating Current Wheatstone-like Bridge work?

The bridge works by balancing the voltage drop across two of the resistors in the circuit. The unknown resistor is placed in one arm of the bridge, and the other three resistors are known values. By adjusting the known resistors, the voltage across them can be balanced, and the unknown resistor's value can be calculated using Ohm's Law.

3. What are the advantages of using an Alternating Current Wheatstone-like Bridge?

One advantage is that it can measure the value of a wide range of resistors, from high to low values. It is also more accurate than traditional Wheatstone Bridges, as it is less affected by stray capacitance and inductance in the circuit.

4. Are there any limitations to using an Alternating Current Wheatstone-like Bridge?

One limitation is that it requires a stable and precise alternating current source. It also may not be suitable for measuring resistors with high inductance or capacitance values, as it can introduce errors in the measurement.

5. How is an Alternating Current Wheatstone-like Bridge used in practical applications?

This type of bridge is commonly used in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and power engineering to measure the resistance of various components. It is also useful for calibrating and testing instruments that measure resistance.