Alternate formulation of Dirac Notation

In summary: Just to be clear, <.|.> is not defined as a "function on the cross product of function space" but rather as an inner product on a single function space (in this case, a Hilbert space). And yes, it is possible to derive all the other properties of bra-ket notation from the basic properties you mentioned, including the integral representation. However, this approach may not be as intuitive for first-time readers, as it involves more abstract mathematical concepts.
IttyBittyBit
I was reading some more quantum mathematics, and a question occurred to me. In the current treatment of the topic, the bra-ket notation is defined as a shorthand notation for more complex mathematical operations. But couldn't bra-ket notation be defined separately from quantum physics? In other words, couldn't we start with some basic properties (things like <.|.> being a function on the cross product of function space, and <f| = |g>*, etc.) and the definition of the dirac delta, then derive all the rest of the properties (such as the integral the notation represents) from there? Forgive me if the answer to my question is obvious and I've failed to see it.

I think that would be good for two reasons:

1. It would be less abstract, allowing easier access for first-time readers,

2. Some problems in quantum mechanics could be removed from their details and studied separately.

Physics news on Phys.org
IttyBittyBit said:
But couldn't bra-ket notation be defined separately from quantum physics?
Yes. See e.g. this post. Note that this doesn't define the "eigenstates" of unbounded operators like momentum. The momentum component operators don't actually have eigenvectors, and explaining why we can get away with pretending that they do goes far beyond simply defining bra-ket notation, and is much too difficult for an introductory QM class. The discussion in this thread touches on that subject. One of Strangerep's posts contains a link to an article that explains the "rigged Hilbert space" concept pretty well.

IttyBittyBit said:
In other words, couldn't we start with some basic properties (things like <.|.> being a function on the cross product of function space, and <f| = |g>*, etc.) and the definition of the dirac delta, then derive all the rest of the properties (such as the integral the notation represents) from there?
Cross product? I hope you mean inner product, or scalar product.

I appreciate your curiosity and critical thinking in questioning the traditional formulation of Dirac notation. It is always important to explore alternative approaches and see if they can offer any advantages or insights.

In response to your question, I believe that while it is possible to define the bra-ket notation separately from quantum physics, it may not necessarily be as useful or intuitive for understanding the concepts and operations in quantum mechanics. The bra-ket notation was specifically developed by Dirac to represent the fundamental principles and mathematical operations in quantum mechanics, and it has been widely adopted and used by physicists to simplify and communicate complex ideas.

Furthermore, the bra-ket notation is not just a shorthand notation, but it also represents the inner product between two vectors in a Hilbert space. This is a crucial concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows for the calculation of probabilities and expectation values of observables. Deriving the properties of the notation from basic functions and the Dirac delta may not fully capture the essence of the notation and its significance in quantum mechanics.

However, I do agree that exploring alternative formulations of Dirac notation could potentially offer new insights and perspectives. This could be a fruitful area of research for mathematicians and physicists alike. But for now, I believe that the traditional formulation of Dirac notation remains the most effective and widely accepted approach for understanding and applying quantum mechanics.

Related to Alternate formulation of Dirac Notation

1. What is the purpose of using alternate formulations of Dirac Notation?

The purpose of using alternate formulations of Dirac Notation is to simplify and generalize the mathematical representation of quantum states and operations. These alternate formulations allow for easier manipulation and calculation of quantum systems, making it a useful tool for studying and understanding quantum mechanics.

2. What are some examples of alternate formulations of Dirac Notation?

Some examples of alternate formulations of Dirac Notation include the bra-ket notation, matrix notation, and operator notation. These formulations represent the same quantum states and operations in different mathematical forms, allowing for different approaches to solving problems in quantum mechanics.

3. How does the bra-ket notation differ from the traditional notation used in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket notation, also known as the Dirac notation, is a more compact and concise way of representing quantum states and operations compared to the traditional notation. It uses the symbols < and > to represent the bra and ket vectors, respectively, instead of the traditional ψ and φ notations.

4. Can alternate formulations of Dirac Notation be used in any quantum system?

Yes, alternate formulations of Dirac Notation can be used in any quantum system as they represent the same mathematical concepts and principles. However, some formulations may be more suitable for specific systems or problems, so it is important to choose the appropriate formulation for a given situation.

5. Are there any limitations to using alternate formulations of Dirac Notation?

While alternate formulations of Dirac Notation offer a more versatile and concise representation of quantum states and operations, they may not always be intuitive to interpret for beginners. Additionally, some formulations may be more complex and require a deeper understanding of linear algebra and quantum mechanics to use effectively.