Ally Samaniego's question at Yahoo Answers regarding partial sums

In summary: Combining terms, we find:S_n=\frac{(n+1)(2n+1)}{2n^2}=\frac{n}{2n}In summary, the OP needs to use (5), (6) and (1) to solve the following:1.) S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n\left(i^2+5i+4 \right)2.) S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n\left(i^2+5i+4 \right)3.) S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n\left(i^
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here are the questions:

How do I find the nth sum of these functions (calculus I)?

My professor explained it very poorly and I have no idea how to solve these.
If possible, could you walk me through it and give me a good way to think about these to solve them properly? It's greatly appreciated, my exam is next week.

1) Sum of i=1 to n of (4-9i)

2) Sum of i=1 to n of (i+1)(i+4)

3) Sum of i=1 to n of (i^3 - i - 2)

4) Sum of i=1 to n of 3/n(i/n)^2

I don't need all of them done, I just need someone to explain how to do these. I'm so confused. I really appreciate your help!

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Ally Samaniego,

To work these problems, you will need the following formulas:

(1) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n(1)=n\)

(2) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n(k)=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\)

(3) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(k^2 \right)=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}\)

(4) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(k^3 \right)=\frac{n^2(n+1)^2}{4}\)

You will also need:

(5) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=a}^b\left(c\cdot f(k) \right)=c\cdot\sum_{k=a}^b\left(f(k) \right)\) where $c$ is an arbitrary constant.

(6) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=a}^b\left(f(k)\pm g(k) \right)=\sum_{k=a}^b\left(f(k) \right)\pm\sum_{k=a}^b\left(g(k) \right)\)

Now, let's look at the problems:

1.) \(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n(4-9i)\)

Using (6) and (5), we may write:

\(\displaystyle S_n=4\sum_{i=1}^n(1)-9\sum_{i=1}^n(i)\)

Using (1) and (2), we may write:

\(\displaystyle S_n=4n-9\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\)

Combining terms, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{8n-9n(n+1)}{2}=\frac{n(8-9(n+1))}{2}=-\frac{n(9n+1)}{2}\)

2.) \(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n\left((i+1)(i+4) \right)\)

Expanding the summand, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n\left(i^2+5i+4 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n\left(i^2 \right)+5\sum_{i=1}^n(i)+4\sum_{i=1}^n(1)\)

Applying (1), (2) and (3), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}+5\frac{n(n+1)}{2}+4n\)

Combining terms, we find:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)+15n(n+1)+24n}{6}= \frac{n\left((n+1)(2n+1)+15(n+1)+24 \right)}{6}= \frac{n\left(2n^2+3n+1+15n+15+24 \right)}{6}= \frac{2n\left(n^2+9n+20 \right)}{6}= \frac{n(n+4)(n+5)}{3}\)

3.) \(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n\left(i^3-i-2 \right)\)

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n\left(i^3 \right)-\sum_{i=1}^n(i)-2\sum_{i=1}^n(1)\)

Using (1), (2) and (4), we have:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n^2(n+1)^2}{4}-\frac{n(n+1)}{2}-2n\)

Combining terms, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n^2(n+1)^2-2n(n+1)-8n}{4}=\frac{n\left(n(n+1)^2-2(n+1)-8 \right)}{4}=\frac{n\left(n^3+2n^2+n-2n-2-8 \right)}{4}=\frac{n\left(n^3+2n^2-n-10 \right)}{4}\)

4.) \(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n\left(\frac{3}{n}\left(\frac{i}{n} \right)^2 \right)\)

Using (5), we may write:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{3}{n^3}\sum_{i=1}^n\left(i^2 \right)\)

Using (3), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{3}{n^3}\cdot\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}=\frac{(n+1)(2n+1)}{2n^2}\)

Related to Ally Samaniego's question at Yahoo Answers regarding partial sums

1. What is a partial sum?

A partial sum is the sum of a subset of numbers in a larger sequence or series. It is calculated by adding up a certain number of terms starting from the first term of the sequence or series.

2. How is a partial sum different from a regular sum?

A regular sum involves adding up all the numbers in a sequence or series, while a partial sum only involves adding up a certain number of terms. A partial sum can also be used to approximate the value of a larger sum.

3. How do you calculate partial sums?

To calculate partial sums, simply add up the first n terms of a sequence or series, where n is the number of terms you want to include in the partial sum. For example, if you want to calculate the partial sum of the first 5 terms of the sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, the partial sum would be 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15.

4. Why are partial sums useful?

Partial sums are useful because they can help us understand the behavior and patterns of larger sequences or series. They can also be used to approximate the value of a larger sum, which can be helpful in real-world applications such as finance and economics.

5. Can you use partial sums to find the sum of an infinite series?

Yes, you can use partial sums to approximate the sum of an infinite series. As you add more and more terms to the partial sum, it will get closer and closer to the actual sum of the infinite series. This technique is known as the partial sum method.