Allowy Wheels Weight and Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations and examples for determining the weight of an 18" alloy wheel in order for it to have the same rotational kinetic energy as a 16" wheel. The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is given, along with the definition of "moment of inertia" for bicycle wheels. The importance of tire weight, size, and width in determining the overall gear ratio and rolling resistance is also mentioned. Ultimately, it is stated that in the real world, the tires have a bigger impact on energy and performance than the wheels themselves.
noobie_physics
Hello,

Was just wondering if anyone has the equations and examples of how light an 18" alloy wheel would have to weigh so that the same amount of energy could turn it at the same rate as a 16" wheel.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate rotational kinetic energy use [tex] \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2 [/tex]

I stands for the rotational inertia of a solid wheel around its axis, while omega is its angular velocity. I'll leave it up to you to make the necessary calculations, since its almost 3 am here, and I'm about to pass out on my keyboard. If you need further help, i'd be glad to help you tomorrow.

The "I" in the above formula stands for "moment of inertia" which is a combination of mass and distance from the center. For bicycle wheels, you usually simplify the problem by assuming most of the mass is at the rim, This makes I = m(r^2).

I'm assuming your problem gives some information regarding either the masses of the wheels. If not, then you have to assume that the alloy wheel is essentially aluminum, and the other one is steel. Use the densities to determine a ratio of M_alloy / M_steel and go from there.

tyre weight difference counts too
but a much bigger factor will be any size difference
both hight that effects over all gear ratio
and width that effects rolling resestance
allso wider tyre have more air drag
so in the real world the tyres count more than the wheels

Related to Allowy Wheels Weight and Energy

1. What is the purpose of weight and energy in Allowy wheels?

The weight and energy of Allowy wheels play a crucial role in their performance and efficiency. The weight of the wheels affects acceleration and handling, while the energy determines the speed and distance the wheels can cover.

2. How does weight affect the performance of Allowy wheels?

The weight of Allowy wheels can impact their acceleration and handling. Heavier wheels require more energy to move, which can result in slower acceleration. However, heavier wheels can also provide better stability and control during high-speed turns.

3. Does the weight of Allowy wheels affect fuel efficiency?

Yes, the weight of Allowy wheels can have an impact on fuel efficiency. Heavier wheels require more energy to move, which can result in increased fuel consumption. In contrast, lighter wheels can improve fuel efficiency by reducing the energy needed to move the vehicle.

4. How does energy affect the speed and distance of Allowy wheels?

The energy of Allowy wheels determines the speed and distance they can cover. Higher energy levels allow for faster speeds and longer distances, while lower energy levels may result in slower speeds and shorter distances.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the weight and energy of Allowy wheels?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact the weight and energy of Allowy wheels, such as the material used, design, and manufacturing process. Different materials have different weights and energy properties, and the design and manufacturing process can also play a role in the overall weight and energy of the wheels.