Allegedly "debunking" the Cavendish Experiment

• B
  • Thread starter DarthOblivious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flat earth
DarthOblivious
TL;DR Summary
Someone showed me this and I wanted to know everything that's wrong about it.
A flatearther sent this to me a few months ago. Dude actually thought this... "project" would convince me. I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories at all, but my knowledge of science is very, very modest, so I can't personally scrutinize it properly. Would anyone be kind enough to help?

EDIT: Forgot the link, lol:
(link removed by mentor: non-accredited journal)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a waste of time analysing such things as they are generally nonsense.

Likes russ_watters and DarthOblivious
Welcome to PF.

The Cavendish experiment has NOT been debunked, and can be repeated today.

That is a list of possible distractions that, then and now, play no part in the experiment. The list was constructed by a non-scientist, acting as devil's advocate, with the aim of muddying the water of science, with pseudo-science.

Likes DarthOblivious and PeroK
Any work that seriously compares two values with different dimensions (Newton's ##G## and whatever nonsense Spear's ##Ge## is supposed to be) and declares them "very close" can safely be dismissed as the work of a clueless poser. Is 1m "very close to" 1kg? Is 1km "very close to" 1kg? What does it even mean to compare a distance to a weight? If it didn't occur to anybody involved in the publication of that paper to ask the equivalent question about ##G## and ##Ge##, nobody involved has even the most basic grasp of physics.

• Informative
Likes DarthOblivious
Don't waste your time arguing with a flatearth person. They will simply not trust your evidence and conclude its all a conspiracy theory to hide the flatness of the Earth.

Closing thread, thanks to everyone who contributed here.

Likes DarthOblivious and Drakkith

Related to Allegedly "debunking" the Cavendish Experiment

1. Is the Cavendish Experiment truly debunked?

No, the Cavendish Experiment is not debunked. It is a well-documented and verified experiment that has been replicated numerous times by different scientists.

2. What are some common misconceptions about the Cavendish Experiment?

One common misconception is that the experiment is flawed or inaccurate. However, the Cavendish Experiment is a robust and reliable method for measuring the gravitational constant.

3. Are there any alternative explanations to the results of the Cavendish Experiment?

While there may be alternative explanations proposed by some individuals, the overwhelming consensus in the scientific community is that the Cavendish Experiment accurately measures the gravitational constant.

4. Why do some people claim to have debunked the Cavendish Experiment?

Some individuals may claim to have debunked the Cavendish Experiment due to misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the results. It is important to critically evaluate any claims of debunking and consider the credibility of the sources.

5. How can we trust the results of the Cavendish Experiment?

The results of the Cavendish Experiment have been verified through replication by different scientists over the years. Additionally, the experiment follows rigorous scientific methods and has been peer-reviewed by experts in the field, ensuring the reliability of the results.