All I ever wanted to know

• Thread starter BeautifulLight
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the universe's existence and its connection to human existence and philosophy. The question of why the constants of nature are finely tuned is posed, and it is argued that this tuning may suggest the existence of an intelligent designer. However, the idea is countered by the belief that human existence is not linked to the existence of the universe. The conversation also touches on the relationship between science and philosophy and the decision of the website to not allow discussions on philosophy due to its tendency to turn into speculation.
BeautifulLight
Q: Why is the sky blue?
A: Because so and so.

Q: Well, why is so and so?
A: Because this and that.

Q: Well why is...

Philosophically, is it possible to end up with something like this?

Q: (last question)
A: Because the sky is blue

Can you make the full loop? Can you satisfy my last question using my first question?Also,"You" argue why the constants of nature are so finely tuned as if they give way to some sort of intelligent designer. I don't think anything of them. It just so happens they were tuned to allow for your existence, and therefore allowing you to ask the question "why are they so finely tuned?". If they were tuned any other way, then you wouldn't exist, and therefore you wouldn't have been able to address the question in the first place!Why should anyone's existence have anything to do with the universe existing? It would seem logical that a person's existence or life in general for that matter is irrelevant to whether or not the (materialistic) universe exists, but I'm having a tough time separating the two.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physicsforums does not allow philosophy.

Not even in the lounge? You're taking away everything of what it means to be human.

And didn't science develop out of philosophy? I don't know how you'll ever divorce the two...

Last edited:
No not even in the lounge. For years we had a philosophy forum and it turned into a cesspool of nonsense. There's ways of discussing philosophy correctly but for the most part it was simply an excuse for people to speculate about anything and everything which is not the purpose of this site.

A: It is a valid philosophical question to ponder the connection between our existence and the existence of the universe. However, from a scientific perspective, the constants of nature are not finely tuned for our existence. Rather, our existence is a result of the conditions and laws of the universe, including the values of these constants. It is possible that if these constants were different, life as we know it may not have evolved, but that does not imply that they were specifically set for our existence. The concept of an intelligent designer is a matter of personal belief and cannot be scientifically proven.

Related to All I ever wanted to know

1. What is "All I ever wanted to know"?

"All I ever wanted to know" is a phrase that signifies a desire for knowledge or information on a specific topic or subject. It is often used to express a longing for understanding or answers.

2. Where does the phrase "All I ever wanted to know" come from?

The origin of the phrase is unknown, but it has been used in literature and music for many years. It is believed to have derived from the common human desire for knowledge and understanding.

3. Can "All I ever wanted to know" be applied to any topic or subject?

Yes, the phrase can be applied to any topic or subject. It is a universal expression of the human desire for knowledge and understanding.

4. Is there a limit to what "All I ever wanted to know" can encompass?

No, there is no limit to what "All I ever wanted to know" can encompass. It can refer to any type of knowledge, from simple facts to complex theories and philosophies.

5. How can someone satisfy their curiosity for "All I ever wanted to know"?

One can satisfy their curiosity for "All I ever wanted to know" by actively seeking out information and learning about the topic or subject. This can be done through various means such as reading, researching, and engaging in discussions with others who have knowledge on the topic.