Aligning Equations in LaTeX: Troubleshooting

In summary, the individual is seeking help with aligning equations in LaTeX. They want to have the first and second equations in the middle, and the last equation to be split into two parts. They have attempted to use the "multline" environment, but encountered an error when trying to include it inside another environment. They are asking for a solution to achieve the same effect as "multline".
computer2012
Hi,

I want to align several equations in latex.

I want the first and second equations to be in the middle.

The last equation is too long and I want to split it into 2 parts.

I tried

\begin{gather}
Eq1\\
Eq2\\
\begin{multline}
Eq3a\\
Eq3b
\end{multline}
\end{gather}

However, the code cannot be compiled due to multline cannot be used inside other environment. How can I solve the problem?

Thanks for your help very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried eqnarray?

Code:
\begin{eqnarray}
a & = & b + c \\
c & = & d + e \\
f & = & a + b + \nonumber \\
  &    &  d + e + f
\end{eqnarray}

[itex]
\begin{eqnarray}
a & = & b + c \\
c & = & d + e \\
f & = & a + b + \nonumber \\
& & d + e + f
\end{eqnarray}
[/itex]

I want the effect of multline, that is, Eq 3a is on the extreme left hand side and Eq 3b is on the extreme right hand side? How can I do that? Thanks.

Related to Aligning Equations in LaTeX: Troubleshooting

1. Why are my equations not aligning properly?

There are a few common reasons why equations may not align properly in LaTeX. One possibility is that there is an error in the syntax of the equations, such as a missing ampersand (&) or a misplaced double backslash (\\). Another possibility is that there are extra spaces or line breaks in the code, which can disrupt the alignment. It is also possible that there is a conflict with other packages or commands in the document. Double-checking the code and removing any unnecessary spaces or line breaks can often fix alignment issues.

2. How do I align multiple equations at once?

To align multiple equations at once, you can use the \begin{align*}\end{align*} environment. Within this environment, each equation should be separated by a double backslash (\\) and aligned using ampersands (&) at the desired points. For example, \begin{align*}x + y &= 2 \\ 2x + 3y &= 5\end{align*} will align the two equations at the equals sign.

3. How can I align equations at a specific character or symbol?

If you want to align equations at a specific character or symbol, you can use the & symbol in the \begin{align*}\end{align*} environment. This symbol acts as an anchor point for alignment. For example, \begin{align*}x &= 2 \\ y &= 5 \\ z &= 8\end{align*} will align the equations at the equals signs.

4. Can I align equations without numbering them?

Yes, you can align equations without numbering them by using the \begin{align*}\end{align*} environment instead of the \begin{align}\end{align} environment. The former will not automatically number the equations, while the latter will. Alternatively, you can use the \nonumber command at the end of each line to suppress the numbering for that specific equation.

5. How can I add text or comments to aligned equations?

To add text or comments to aligned equations, you can use the \intertext{} command within the \begin{align}\end{align} environment. This will allow you to add text between equations while still maintaining correct alignment. Alternatively, you can use the \text{} command to add text directly within an equation. For example, \begin{align*}x + y &= 2 \\ \intertext{where x and y are variables} 2x + 3y &= 5\end{align*} will add the comment "where x and y are variables" between the two aligned equations.