Algorithm to return all subarrays of a given array

In summary, the code above generates a sequence of all the subarrays of the given array, not including the empty array.
SlurrerOfSpeech
I can't find this exact algorithm anywhere on the internet. What I'm trying to implement is the following function

Code:
// Returns all subarrays of the given array, not including the empty array
// ex. [a,b,c].subarrays() = [ [a], [b], [c], [a,b], [a,c], [b,c], [a,b,c] ]
Array.prototype.subarrays = function(...)
{
   // .. 
}

in a larger program I'm writing. (I know how to do it easily if the subarrays are contiguous sequences of the original array)

Also, if this makes things easier, in the single use case of my program the original array has unique items.

Technology news on Phys.org
Perhaps you can use the fact that for a list of n elements there are 2n sub-lists, including the empty one. For instance, if there is 8 elements, then if you iterate i from 1 to 256 then the each of the 8 bits for each value of i will tell whether or not to include the element corresponding to each bit.

Likes FactChecker and jim mcnamara
Filip's solution seems the most elegant to me.

You don't want the empty set i.e. the number ##(0000\,\, 0000)_2=(0)_{10}## isn't a part of the list you generate.
The first one would be ##(0000\,\, 0001)_2=(1)_{10}##, the second one ##(0000\,\, 0010)_2=(2)_{10}## and so on.
So it is a simple sequence ##1,2,\ldots ,256## that you have to relate to the correct subsets of your array.

E.g. right-most bit corresponds to "array[0]" and so on.

This won't give you an array of subarrays ordered by length of said subarrays so you might have to do a sorting step if you want this.
In that case the sorting is likely the most expensive part of the code (if you need to optimize the code sometime later on). Perhaps a specialized sorting algorithm can use the pattern found in the length of the generated subarrays.

Filip Larsen said:
Perhaps you can use the fact that for a list of n elements there are 2n sub-lists, including the empty one. For instance, if there is 8 elements, then if you iterate i from 1 to 256 then the each of the 8 bits for each value of i will tell whether or not to include the element corresponding to each bit.

Genius! I'm going to do that.

Worked beautfiully. Thanks!

This ended up being my implementation:

Code:
// Returns all subarrays of the given array, not including the empty array
// ex. [a,b,c].subarrays() = [ [a], [b], [c], [a,b], [a,c], [b,c], [a,b,c] ]
Array.prototype.subarrays = function()
{
   var subs = [];
   for(var i = 0, n = Math.pow(2,this.length); i < n; ++i)
   {
      var sub = [];
      for(var j = 0; j < this.length; ++j)
      {
          if (((i >> j) & 1) == 1)
              sub.push(this[j]);         
      }
        subs.push(sub);
   }
   return subs; 
}

Likes jim mcnamara and Pepper Mint
could someone give the code in c++?please

The JavaScript code is very easy to follow, if your knowledge of C++ is not sufficient to translate it then do you think you will to be able to use it?

pbuk said:
The JavaScript code is very easy to follow, if your knowledge of C++ is not sufficient to translate it then do you think you will to be able to use it?
Sorry but i don't know javascript and really didn't understood the logic either so if someone could share a C++ snippet it might would have Helped me out

Regarding the logic of the Javascript code in this thread it is really simple:
  1. Given is an array a of length n.
  2. For each i from zero to 2n do
    1. Set array sa = []
    2. For each j from zero to n do
      1. If the i has the j'th bit set then append a[j] to sa.
    3. Use sa for something.
Of course, if you go with implementing this in C++ then all of the above lines will give rise to considerations on how to map this onto C++ data types and similar.

Edit: removed my somewhat brain-farted recommendation for using std::next_permutation as this of course does permutations and not sampling.

Last edited:

Related to Algorithm to return all subarrays of a given array

1. What is an algorithm to return all subarrays of a given array?

An algorithm is a set of step-by-step instructions for solving a problem. In the context of computer science, an algorithm to return all subarrays of a given array is a set of instructions that can be followed to find and return all possible subarrays within a given array.

2. How does the algorithm to return all subarrays of a given array work?

The algorithm works by systematically iterating through the array and identifying all possible subarrays. It uses nested loops to iterate through the array and identify the starting and ending indices of each subarray, then adds those subarrays to a list or array to be returned as the final result.

3. What is the time complexity of the algorithm to return all subarrays of a given array?

The time complexity of this algorithm is O(n^2), as it involves nested loops that iterate through the entire array. This means that the time it takes to run the algorithm will increase quadratically as the size of the array increases.

4. Can the algorithm to return all subarrays of a given array handle duplicate elements?

Yes, the algorithm can handle duplicate elements. It will identify and return all possible subarrays, even if they contain duplicate elements.

5. Are there any special cases or edge cases that the algorithm to return all subarrays of a given array may not account for?

The algorithm may not work correctly if the input array is empty or contains only one element. It also may not work correctly if the input array is null. These edge cases can be accounted for by adding conditional statements at the beginning of the algorithm to check for these scenarios and handle them appropriately.