Algorithm to find the submatrix with the greatest sum of its elements?

In summary, the challenge problem involves finding the submatrix with the greatest sum of its elements from a given real-valued matrix A. There is a known solution using Kadane's algorithm with a time complexity of O(n^3), but it is possible that a faster algorithm exists. The problem is similar to the "Maximum subarray problem" and can be solved in O(n) for a 1D array. However, for a 2D matrix, the best known solution is between O(n^2) and O(n^3).
Jamin2112
This is a challenge problem I thought of: Given a real-valued matrix A, develop an algorithm that finds the submatrix with the greatest sum of its element. (If there's a tie, just return an arbitrary submatrix that's tied for the win.)

Is there a way other than brute force?

Technology news on Phys.org
Sounds like an application for dynamic programming. Use Kadane's algorithm on each submatrix using right and left column pairs -

O(n^3). I believe there is a faster algorithm but I do not know it offhand.

I've seen this problem before -- Wikipedia calls the 1D problem the "Maximum subarray problem" and it can be solved in O(n). I spent some time trying to find a solution linear in the number of matrix elements, but never found one. I believe the best solution was more than O(n^2) but less than O(n^3) (see the references at the end of the wikipedia article).

Related to Algorithm to find the submatrix with the greatest sum of its elements?

1. What is an algorithm to find the submatrix with the greatest sum of its elements?

An algorithm is a set of instructions or steps that are followed in order to solve a problem. In this case, the algorithm to find the submatrix with the greatest sum of its elements involves analyzing a matrix and selecting the submatrix with the highest sum of its elements.

2. How does the algorithm to find the submatrix with the greatest sum of its elements work?

The algorithm works by iterating through each element in the matrix and calculating the sum of all possible submatrices that contain that element. The submatrix with the highest sum is then selected as the solution.

3. What is the time complexity of the algorithm to find the submatrix with the greatest sum of its elements?

The time complexity of this algorithm is O(n^4), where n is the size of the matrix. This means that the time it takes to run the algorithm increases exponentially as the size of the matrix increases.

4. Are there any alternative algorithms for finding the submatrix with the greatest sum of its elements?

Yes, there are other algorithms that can be used to solve this problem. One alternative is the Kadane's algorithm which has a time complexity of O(n^3). This algorithm is more efficient for larger matrices.

5. Can the algorithm to find the submatrix with the greatest sum of its elements be used for matrices with negative numbers?

Yes, the algorithm can be applied to matrices with negative numbers. However, it may not always give the correct solution as negative numbers can affect the overall sum of a submatrix. In this case, a modified version of the algorithm may be needed to handle negative numbers.