Is Nuclear Engineering the Future of Sustainable Energy?

• Thread starter LakeMountD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, Congratulations on your newest major in Nuclear Engineering at the University of Florida! This program involves the development and use of advanced techniques and tools in areas such as particle transport, reactor physics, thermal hydraulics, and radiation shielding. There is a high demand for nuclear engineers in the US, and with your skills in robotics and other areas, you should have no problem finding a job. Additionally, the misconception that nuclear engineering is similar to being a plumber is inaccurate, as there is much more involved in this field. Once again, congratulations on your achievement!
LakeMountD
[SOLVED] My newest major :)..

Nuclear Engineering at Univ. of Florida

"Students are involved in development and use of advanced particle transport methods, multigroup cross-section generation techniques, reactor physics and perturbation methods, thermal hydraulics, nondestructive testing techniques and tools, advanced fuel design, robotics, radiation shielding and protection, simulation methodologies for real-life nuclear systems including reactors, medical devices, and radiation facilities.

Physics news on Phys.org

Congrats ! :smile:

I heard there are only a few hundred nuclear engeneers
graduating in the US every year while the demand is for a few
phousand. Hope that's right and you'll have no problem finding
a job. :smile:

I heard that nuclear engineering majors basically ended up being high-tech plumbers.

The reaction chambers are sealed once they're put into place. All the engineers do is monitor the coolant water.

Congrats Man

Originally posted by enigma
I heard that nuclear engineering majors basically ended up being high-tech plumbers.

The reaction chambers are sealed once they're put into place. All the engineers do is monitor the coolant water.
Let me guess, you tried to congratulate him/her, right ?

Originally posted by enigma

150k a year for being a plumber is fine with me.. on top of that if you read any of what i wrote at the top, robotics is included.. you can do a lot of stuff with skills like that..

Oop. Where are my manners?

Congrats!

I was just parrotting what I heard.

What is your newest major?

My newest major is neuroscience.

Why did you choose neuroscience as your major?

I have always been fascinated by the brain and how it controls our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Neuroscience is a field that combines biology, psychology, and computer science, which aligns with my interests and strengths.

What career opportunities are available with a degree in neuroscience?

Some career options for those with a degree in neuroscience include research scientist, clinical neuropsychologist, pharmaceutical sales representative, and science writer. There are also opportunities in fields such as education, law, and business.

What skills are important for success in the field of neuroscience?

Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to analyze and interpret data are key skills for success in neuroscience. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with other researchers and presenting findings.

What are some current topics of research in the field of neuroscience?

Some current topics of research in neuroscience include the study of brain development and plasticity, the neural basis of learning and memory, brain-computer interfaces, and the effects of drugs and diseases on the brain. Other areas of interest include the role of genetics in brain function and the relationship between the brain and behavior.