Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of biophotons and their potential importance to the functioning of living organisms. The participants discussed the nature of biophotons as weak electromagnetic waves emitted by all living cells, the various applications of biophoton research, and the possible role of biophotons in consciousness and the body's self-regulation processes. There were also some questions raised about the ability of biophotons to penetrate through layers of cells and the potential effects of external sources of light on the body's biophoton field.
RuroumiKenshin
On pf 2.0, (i believe it was Lurch) posted a thread on biophotons. He just wanted to know what they were, but I would like to know your thoughts on how biophotons are of any importance to us. IOW, how it is that they can be incorporated with consciousness, and basically our neural network.

Biophotons, or ultraweak photon emissions of biological systems, are weak electromagnetic waves in the optical range of the spectrum - in other words: light. All living cells of plants, animals and human beings emit biophotons which cannot be seen by the naked eye but can be measured by special equipment developed by German researchers.

This light emission is an expression of the functional state of the living organism and its measurement therefore can be used to assess this state. Cancer cells and healthy cells of the same type, for instance, can be discriminated by typical differences in biophoton emission. After an initial decade and a half of basic research on this discovery, biophysicists of various European and Asian countries are now exploring the many interesting applications which range across such diverse fields as cancer research, non-invasive early medical diagnosis, food and water quality testing, chemical and electromagnetic contamination testing, cell communication, and various applications in biotechnology.

According to the biophoton theory developed on the base of these discoveries the biophoton light is stored in the cells of the organism - more precisely, in the DNA molecules of their nuclei - and a dynamic web of light constantly released and absorbed by the DNA may connect cell organelles, cells, tissues, and organs within the body and serve as the organism's main communication network and as the principal regulating instance for all life processes. The processes of morphogenesis, growth, differentiation and regeneration are also explained by the structuring and regulating activity of the coherent biophoton field. The holographic biophoton field of the brain and the nervous system, and maybe even that of the whole organism, may also be basis of memory and other phenomena of consciousness, as postulated by neurophysiologist Karl Pribram an others. The consciousness-like coherence properties of the biophoton field are closely related to its base in the properties of the physical vacuum and indicate its possible role as an interface to the non-physical realms of mind, psyche and consciousness.

The discovery of biophoton emission also lends scientific support to some unconventional methods of healing based on concepts of homeostasis (self-regulation of the organism), such as various somatic therapies, homeopathy and acupuncture. The "ch'i" energy flowing in our bodies' energy channels (meridians) which according to Traditional Chinese Medicine regulates our body functions may be related to node lines of the organism's biophoton field. The "prana" of Indian Yoga physiology may be a similar regulating energy force that has a basis in weak, coherent electromagnetic biofields.

Background

First discovered in 1923 by Russian medical scientist Professor Alexander G.Gurvich (who named them "mitogenetic rays") and in the 1930s widely researched in Europe and the USA, biophotons have been rediscovered and backed since the 1970s by ample experimental and theoretical evidence by European scientists. In 1974 German biophysicist Fritz-Albert Popp has proved their existence, their origin from the DNA and later their coherence (laser-like nature), and has developed biophoton theory to explain their possible biological role and the ways in which they may control biochemical processes, growth, differentiation etc. Popp's biophoton theory leads to many startling insights into the life processes and may well provide one of the major elements of a future theory of life and holistic medical practice based on such an approach. The importance of the discovery has been confirmed by eminent scientists such as Herbert Froehlich and Nobel laureate Ilya Prigogine. Since 1992, the International Institute of Biophysics, a network of research laboratories in more than 10 countries, based in Germany, is coordinating research in this field which promises rapid development in the next decade.

Biology news on Phys.org
Did you have any ideas, Majin, as to how to incorporate the concept of biophotons, with that of consciousness?

Well maybe the fact that our brains do use electricity. But other than that, no. That's why I posted it here, so pf members could help me brainstorm. Do you have any ideas?

Well, I think that if scientists can understand all of the processes of the brain as a wave-function (perhaps of these biophotons), then one of those processes would be consciousness. Perhaps they'll then be able to measure the different levels of consiousness, not only of different humans, but also of other species of animal.

I estimate the resonance of DNA/RNA to have right-circularly polarized wavelength equal to the linear distance between complete turns of those molecules, 34 Angstroms (in the ultraviolet), a point of potential mutagenesis.

You may wish to visit my website (see the "www" button, below) for the article "Neurophysiological Uncertainty."

OK, the first thing I think:
"biophotons stored in DNA, used by as a dynamic web of light constantly released and absorbed by the DNA may connect cell organelles, cells, tissues, and organs within the body and serve as the organism's main communication network"
..right..

Problem one: we live in an environment immersed in light, how can you explain that the body doesn't react to exogeneous photons?

Problem two: visible light doesn't penetrate a layer of cells very well, how is it possible that tissues and organs are able to communicate by biophotons?

Originally posted by Loren Booda
I estimate the resonance of DNA/RNA to have right-circularly polarized wavelength equal to the linear distance between complete turns of those molecules, 34 Angstroms (in the ultraviolet), a point of potential mutagenesis.

You may wish to visit my website (see the "www" button, below) for the article "Neurophysiological Uncertainty."

I am sorry, I don't get what you are saying: do you mean that the wavelength of the biophoton needs to be 34 A in order for DNA to respond to the signal? And what do you mean by: a point of potential mutagenesis?

Monique-

Think of DNA as a having a sine function that describes its spiraling. The distance between successive crests of its sugar-phosphate backbone is 34 Angstroms. Such a wavelength may signify a critical point of resonance with photons in the ultraviolet, analogous to winds twisting and breaking the Tacoma Narrows bridge in Washington state circa 1940.

Thank you, but, resonating DNA is something real or a product of imagination?

My patent is pending. :wink:

I *really* think this "biophoton" thing is extremely crackpotty.

I do not doubt that the emmission of photons from cells but, as a general rule, "theories" that attempt to explain "soul", "consciousness", and that mix scientific terms with new age concepts, "life energies" and the like, are not sound.

Also, a quick search on the Science and Nature sites for "biophotons" returned no results. If this was for real, you would expect some serious studies to have been published in peer-reviewed journals (especially since, according to one website, this "biophotons" have been around for over half a century).

1. What is the relationship between consciousness and quantum mechanics?

The relationship between consciousness and quantum mechanics is a highly debated and complex topic. Some theories suggest that consciousness may be a fundamental aspect of the universe and therefore may have a role in the behavior of quantum systems. Others propose that consciousness arises from the complex interactions of neurons in the brain and is not directly related to quantum mechanics. Currently, there is no scientific consensus on the exact relationship between the two.

2. Can quantum mechanics explain consciousness?

Quantum mechanics is a highly successful mathematical framework for describing the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. However, it is not currently able to fully explain or account for the complex phenomenon of consciousness. While there may be some interesting connections between the two, there is no conclusive evidence that quantum mechanics can fully explain consciousness.

3. Is consciousness a product of quantum processes?

This is a controversial question that is still being explored by scientists and philosophers. Some theories suggest that consciousness may arise from quantum processes, such as quantum entanglement or quantum superposition, while others propose that it is a emergent property of complex systems like the brain. However, there is no definitive evidence to support either theory at this time.

4. How does quantum mechanics impact our understanding of free will?

Quantum mechanics introduces the concept of uncertainty and randomness at the subatomic level, which challenges the traditional notions of causality and determinism. Some argue that this may leave room for free will to exist, while others argue that free will is an illusion created by our limited understanding of complex systems. The relationship between quantum mechanics and free will is still a topic of debate and investigation.

5. Is there any evidence for a connection between consciousness and quantum mechanics?

While there have been some intriguing studies and experiments that suggest a possible connection between consciousness and quantum mechanics, there is currently no solid evidence to support this claim. The complexity of both consciousness and quantum mechanics make it difficult to definitively prove a relationship between the two, and more research is needed to fully understand this topic.