Algebraic Geometry - D&F Section 15.1, Exercise 24

In summary, Dummit and Foote Section 15.1, Exercise 24 asks to prove that the algebraic set V defined by \mathcal{Z} (xy - z) \subseteq \mathbb{A}^3 is isomorphic to \mathbb{A}^2 and to provide an explicit isomorphism \phi and associated k-algebra isomorphism \widetilde{\phi} between k[V] and k[\mathbb{A}^2] along with their inverses. Additionally, it asks whether the algebraic set V defined by \mathcal{Z} (xy - z^2) is isomorphic to \mathbb{A}^2. To approach this problem
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Dummit and Foote Section 15.1, Exercise 24 reads as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let [TEX] V = \mathcal{Z} (xy - z) \subseteq \mathbb{A}^3 [/TEX].

Prove that \(\displaystyle V \) is isomorphic to [TEX] \mathbb{A}^2 [/TEX]

and provide an explicit isomorphism [TEX] \phi [/TEX] and associated k-algebra isomorphism [TEX] \widetilde{\phi} [/TEX] from [TEX] k[V] [/TEX] to [TEX] k[ \mathbb{A}^2] [/TEX] along with their inverses.

Is [TEX] V = \mathcal{Z} (xy - z^2) [/TEX] isomorphic to [TEX] \mathbb{A}^2 [/TEX]?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would appreciate some help and guidance with getting started with this exercise [I suspect I might need considerable guidance! :-( ]Some of the background and definitions are given in the attachment.Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Dummit and Foote Section 15.1, Exercise 24 reads as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let [TEX] V = \mathcal{Z} (xy - z) \subseteq \mathbb{A}^3 [/TEX].

Prove that \(\displaystyle V \) is isomorphic to [TEX] \mathbb{A}^2 [/TEX]

and provide an explicit isomorphism [TEX] \phi [/TEX] and associated k-algebra isomorphism [TEX] \widetilde{\phi} [/TEX] from [TEX] k[V] [/TEX] to [TEX] k[ \mathbb{A}^2] [/TEX] along with their inverses.

Is [TEX] V = \mathcal{Z} (xy - z^2) [/TEX] isomorphic to [TEX] \mathbb{A}^2 [/TEX]?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would appreciate some help and guidance with getting started with this exercise [I suspect I might need considerable guidance! :-( ]Some of the background and definitions are given in the attachment.Peter

I am still working on this problem. Here are some more thoughts I've had ... however I am struggling to make a great deal of progress and still need substantial help ...

We have to show that \(\displaystyle V \) is isomorphic to [TEX] \mathbb{A}^2 [/TEX]

We also have to provide an explicit isomorphism [TEX] \phi [/TEX] and associated k-algebra isomorphism [TEX] \widetilde{\phi} [/TEX] from [TEX] k[V] [/TEX] to [TEX] k[ \mathbb{A}^2] [/TEX] along with their inverses!

... ... ... well, we must look for a mapping from \(\displaystyle V \subseteq \mathbb{A}^3 \) to \(\displaystyle W = \mathbb{A}^2 \), so I would say we need a morphism or polynomial map \(\displaystyle \phi : \ V \to W \).

D&F (Section 15.1, page 662) define a morphism as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition. A map \(\displaystyle \phi : \ V \to W \) is called a morphism or polynomial map or regular map of algebraic sets if there are polynomials \(\displaystyle \phi_1, ... \ ... \phi_m \in k[x_1, x_2, ... \ ... x_n] \) such that

\(\displaystyle \phi ((a_1, a_2, ... \ ... , a_n)) = ( \phi_1(a_1, a_2, ... \ ... , a_n) ... \ ... \phi_m(a_1, a_2, ... \ ... , a_n)) \) for all \(\displaystyle (a_1, a_2, ... \ ... , a_n) \in V \)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D&F (seemingly importantly for our problem) go on to say:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The map \(\displaystyle \phi : \ V \to W \) is an isomorphism of algebraic sets if there is a morphism \(\displaystyle \psi : \ W \to V \) with \(\displaystyle \phi \circ \psi = 1_W \) and \(\displaystyle \psi \circ \phi = 1_V \).

... ... ...

... \(\displaystyle \phi \) indices a well defined map from the quotient ring \(\displaystyle k[x_1, ... \ ... , x_m]/ \mathcal{I}(W) \) to the quotient ring \(\displaystyle k[x_1, ... \ ... , x_m]/ \mathcal{I}(V) \):

\(\displaystyle \widetilde{\phi}: \ k[W] \to k[V] \)

\(\displaystyle f \mapsto f \circ \phi \)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the above are the concepts I now believe need to be applied, but I lack the skills and knowledge to apply them in this specific case

I would really appreciate some help.

Peter

Related to Algebraic Geometry - D&F Section 15.1, Exercise 24

1. What is algebraic geometry?

Algebraic geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies solutions to polynomial equations using techniques from algebra, geometry, and topology.

2. What is D&F Section 15.1?

D&F Section 15.1 refers to the 15th chapter, first section of the book "Algebra" by Michael Artin, which is a commonly used textbook for algebraic geometry.

3. What is Exercise 24 in D&F Section 15.1 about?

Exercise 24 in D&F Section 15.1 is a specific problem related to the topic being discussed in that section, which in this case is about affine varieties and their coordinate rings.

4. Why is Exercise 24 important in algebraic geometry?

Exercise 24, along with other exercises in D&F Section 15.1, helps to reinforce the concepts and techniques learned in the section, and prepares the reader for more advanced topics in algebraic geometry.

5. Is it necessary to complete Exercise 24 in D&F Section 15.1?

No, it is not necessary to complete Exercise 24 or any other exercises in D&F Section 15.1. However, it is recommended to do so in order to deepen understanding and improve problem-solving skills in algebraic geometry.