Uncovering the Origins of Spam Names: Sir & Madam Spam

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sir
In summary, the spammer's personal pseudonyms are alliterative and non-referential, and are often Anglo-sounding.
Loren Booda
Where do so many spammers get those universally alliterative, metric pseudonyms, i. e., "Gretchen Powers"?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Compare the "personal" pseudonyms of spam senders.

Do you see any patterns? Usually Anglo, of certain meter, three or four syllables, nonreferential and alliterative; e. g., "Sam Speedman." Almost like names actors adopt.

Lo-ren Boo-da?

- Warren

I find it amusing when I receive mail from spammers who can't even spell their names correctly. But then, I don't think anyone ever insisted that much intelligence is required to be a spammer. Fortunately, there is software that will not only harvest thousands of e-mails from websites but also write the e-mail for these poor idiots. So spammers using spam software are likely going to use a name they can actually spell, which may rule out most normal names.

Are there any numbers as to how many organizations and/or individuals there are engaged in this activity?

I've heard the figure that upwards of 70% of spam is actually the work of just one organization. This organization is composed of one man and a LOT of overseas computers.

- Warren

If that's the case, I'd say we've just found the perfect target for tamohawk missile target practice...

http://www.mugshots.com/Favorites/Eddy_Marin.htm

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
I've heard the figure that upwards of 70% of spam is actually the work of just one organization. This organization is composed of one man and a LOT of overseas computers.

- Warren
Fascinating, I had no idea, and thank you for the information.

Originally posted by chroot
http://www.mugshots.com/Favorites/Eddy_Marin.htm

- Warren
LOL, that is really funny. The mug shot makes him look like a character from a Drug Cartel, haha.

Originally posted by enigma
If that's the case, I'd say we've just found the perfect target for tamohawk missile target practice...

[edited for a thanks]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the common characteristics of spam names "Sir" and "Madam"?

The most common characteristics of spam names "Sir" and "Madam" are that they are generic and gender-neutral titles used to address someone in a formal or respectful manner. They also often include common surnames, such as "Smith" or "Jones", to make the names sound more realistic and familiar.

2. Why do spammers use the titles "Sir" and "Madam" in their emails?

Spammers use the titles "Sir" and "Madam" in their emails to create a sense of formality and legitimacy. This can trick recipients into thinking the email is from a reputable source and increase the chances of them opening the email and falling for the scam.

3. Are there any variations of the spam names "Sir" and "Madam"?

Yes, there are many variations of the spam names "Sir" and "Madam". Some common variations include "Mr." and "Mrs.", "Mister" and "Miss", and "Ms." and "Mr.". Spammers may also use different titles in different languages to target a wider audience.

4. How do spammers come up with these spam names?

Spammers often use automated programs or "bots" to generate random combinations of words and names. They may also use databases of common names and surnames to create more realistic and believable names. Additionally, they may choose names that are popular or trending in a specific region to target their audience.

5. Are there any other tactics spammers use to create spam names besides "Sir" and "Madam"?

Yes, spammers may use a variety of tactics to create spam names, including using common first and last names, using combinations of numbers and letters, or using titles and professions, such as "Dr." or "Engineer". They may also use misspellings or unusual spellings to make the names sound more unique and less suspicious.