Is Life on Mars Still a Possibility? Revisiting the Viking Probe Experiments

• Thread starter Dissident Dan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Mars
In summary, according to the article, there is some evidence towards the existence of life on Mars, but it cannot be confirmed. The first test that was performed did detect some kind of activity, but it is still not clear what it was. Dr. Gil Levin believes that the first test did detect life, but other scientists do not agree.
Dissident Dan
In 1976, a Viking probe landed on Mars. Strange activity in Martian soil that was similar to microbes giving off gas was detected. A subsequent test for organic matter turned out negative and it was concluded that Mars was dead. However, former mission scientist for NASA Dr. Gil Levin says that experiments that were touted as disproof of life were using imprecise tools--much less precise than those used to detect the strange soil activity. It seems that he believes that the first test did detect life.

All information from:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2941826.stm

Biology news on Phys.org
The data from those past tests could not confirm the existence of life on Mars. But they don't shut the door on the possibility either.

Yes. You are correct. The strange activity does give does provide some small evidence towards the hypothethis, though.

I thought what they 'discovered' with the first Viking was the cleaning solvent used on the detector before it was launched?

Originally posted by russ_watters
I thought what they 'discovered' with the first Viking was the cleaning solvent used on the detector before it was launched?

Or maybe it was swamp gas... :wink:

I don't know. I haven't heard anything like that, but I wasn't around back then. Apparently, the did find some kind of activity (According to the article).

Interesting, I had not heard that (and I'd be surprised if it was true giving the volatility of solvents and the low pressure environments of Mars and interplanetary space). I only heard that the detected "activity" was believed to be due to the chemical nature of the soil which, for some reason, oxidized organic compounds. But that was a while ago. Hey, maybe the new Euro-rovers being launched this week will find something new.

god... if it turns out that there is life there it'll pretty much change how we thought about extra terrestrial life forever. what are the chances of life forming on two planets in the same solar sytem! it will seem almost impossible to rule out intelligent life elsewhere.

maximus: You missed the word "independently". If any life is found, there is a good chance to be linked to life on earth. Perhaps asteroids carrying microbes from Earth "seeded" mars. Maybe even vice versa.

Originally posted by FZ+
maximus: You missed the word "independently". If any life is found, there is a good chance to be linked to life on earth. Perhaps asteroids carrying microbes from Earth "seeded" mars. Maybe even vice versa.

Agreed.

Also, massive evidence of water erosion and oceanic collections of water are observed on Mars everyday. There's no way to cover that up. and, like where there's smoke there's fire... where there's water there is usually life... in some format or other.

FZ+ has a major point about interexchanges between Mars and EArth. What could also be tested is which planet got life first, at some point in time.

Its a 6 year ride to and from Mars... so far... for humans. But I think the tests would better be done by humans... since robots have the intelligence of a half cerebral gangliaed, demented, partially blind cockroach, even with mission control backing them up.

1. Is there any evidence of past or present life on Mars?

As of now, there is no definitive evidence of past or present life on Mars. However, there have been several discoveries that suggest the possibility of microbial life in the past, such as the presence of organic molecules and the potential existence of liquid water. Ongoing research and future missions may provide more concrete evidence.

2. Can humans survive on Mars?

It is currently not possible for humans to live on the surface of Mars without protective equipment and resources. The atmosphere is too thin and lacks oxygen, and the radiation levels are too high. However, with advanced technology and infrastructure, it may be possible for humans to establish a sustainable presence on Mars in the future.

3. How do scientists search for signs of life on Mars?

Scientists use a combination of remote sensing techniques and lander missions to search for signs of life on Mars. Remote sensing involves using instruments on orbiters to study the surface and atmosphere of Mars, while lander missions involve sending rovers and other instruments to directly analyze samples from the Martian surface.

4. Why is Mars considered a potential place for life?

Mars has several characteristics that make it a potential place for life. It has a similar geological history to Earth, with evidence of past water and the potential for liquid water today. It also has a thin atmosphere that could have once supported life, and it is in the habitable zone of our solar system. Additionally, Mars has a diverse range of environments that could potentially support different forms of life.

5. What are the challenges of searching for life on Mars?

One of the main challenges of searching for life on Mars is the harsh and extreme environment. The thin atmosphere and high levels of radiation make it difficult for life to survive on the surface. Additionally, the process of identifying potential signs of life, such as organic molecules, can be complex and may require advanced technology and analysis. Another challenge is the limited access to certain areas of Mars, making it difficult to fully explore and study the planet.