Algebraic element - Minimal polynomial

In summary, we have shown that $a$ is algebraic over $L$ and that the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $L$ divides the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $K$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We suppose that $M/L/K$ are consecutive fields extensions and $a\in M$ is algebraic over $K$. I want to show that $a$ is algebraic also over $L$. I want to show also that the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $L$ divides the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $K$ (if we consider this polynomial as an element of $L[x]$). Then I want to conclude that the degree of $a$ over $L$ is, at most, equal to the degree of $a$ over $K$.

I have done the following:

Since $a\in M$ is algebraic over $K$, there is a non-zero $f(x)\in K[x]$ with $f(a)=0$.

Since $K\leq L$ we have that $f(x)\in L[x]$ and $f(a)=0$. Therefore, $a$ is algebraic also over $L$.

We have that $\text{Irr}(a,K)\mid f(x)$ and $\text{Irr}(a,K)\mid f(x)$, or not? (Wondering)

How could we continue to conclude that the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $L$ divides the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $K$ ? (Wondering) I haven't really understood the part "if we consider this polynomial as an element of $L[x]$"... (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since both $K,L$ are fields, we have that both $K[x],L[x]$ are Euclidean domains.

Let $m_K(x)$ be the minimal polynomial of $a$ in $K[x]$, and let $m_L(x)$ be the same in $L[x]$.

Since $K \leq L$, we can consider $m_K$ as an element of $L[x]$.

Apply the division algorithm in $L[x]$, to obtain:

$m_K(x) = q(x)m_L(x) + r(x)$ where $\text{deg}(r) < \text{deg}(m_L)$, or $r = 0$.

Assume that $r \neq 0$. We then have:

$0 = m_K(a) = q(a)m_L(a) + r(a) = q(a)\cdot 0 + r(a) = r(a)$.

Then $r(x) \in L[x]$ is a polynomial of lesser degree (than $m_L$) for which $r(a) = 0$, contradicting the minimality of $m_L$ over $L[x]$.

Related to Algebraic element - Minimal polynomial

1. What is an algebraic element?

An algebraic element is an element of a field that is a root of a nonzero polynomial with coefficients in that field.

2. What is a minimal polynomial?

A minimal polynomial is the smallest degree monic polynomial with coefficients in a given field that has a given algebraic element as a root.

3. How is a minimal polynomial related to an algebraic element?

A minimal polynomial is the polynomial that defines an algebraic element. It is the unique polynomial of smallest degree that has the algebraic element as a root.

4. Can an algebraic element have multiple minimal polynomials?

No, an algebraic element can only have one minimal polynomial. This is because the minimal polynomial is unique and defines the algebraic element.

5. How is the minimal polynomial used in algebraic equations?

The minimal polynomial is used to simplify and solve equations involving algebraic elements. It allows us to express the algebraic element in terms of its minimal polynomial, making calculations and manipulations easier.