(Algebra) Quantum Theory - Cauchy-Schwartz inequality proof

In summary, the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality states that the inner product of two arbitrary vectors cannot be larger than the product of their norms. In the given problem, we consider a complex number \lambda = a + ib and a vector |\Psi\rangle = |\phi_{1}\rangle + \lambda|\phi_{2}\rangle. The task is to find the value of \lambda that minimizes the inner product of |\Psi\rangle with itself. This can be expressed as a function of \lambda, which can then be rewritten as a function of the real and imaginary parts of \lambda (a and b). The solution involves taking the derivatives of the function and setting them equal to zero, which leads to the value of
FatPhysicsBoy

Homework Statement

Given two arbitrary vectors [itex]|\phi_{1}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex] belonging to the inner product space [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex], the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality states that:

[itex]|\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle|^{2} \leq \langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{1}\rangle \langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex].

Consider [itex]|\Psi\rangle = |\phi_{1}\rangle + \lambda|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a complex number that can be written as [itex]\lambda = a + ib[/itex].

a) Write an expression for [itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle \geq 0[/itex] as a function of [itex]\lambda[/itex] then rewrite as a function of a and b ([itex]f(a,b)[/itex]).

b) Show that the value of [itex]\lambda[/itex] that minimises [itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle[/itex] is:

[itex]\lambda_{min} = -\frac{\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{1}\rangle}{\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle}[/itex].

Hint: Compute the derivatives of [itex]f(a,b)[/itex] wrt a and b, solve these to get [itex]a_{min}[/itex] and [itex]b_{min}[/itex] and then compute [itex]\lambda_{min}[/itex].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I get [itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle = \langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{1}\rangle + a(\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle + \langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{1}\rangle) + ib(\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle - \langle\phi_{2}\phi_{1}\rangle) + (a^{2} + b^{2})\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle = f(a,b)[/itex]. However I can only show:

[itex]\lambda_{min} = -\frac{\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle}{\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle}[/itex],

by combining Re and I am parts in [itex]f(a,b)[/itex] as follows (and finding the relevant derivatives etc.):

[itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle = \langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{1}\rangle + 2a\textrm{Re}(\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle) + 2b\textrm{Im}(\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle) + (a^{2} + b^{2})\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex].

This is the only way I understand how to do it, however, in the solutions for this problem the collection of Re and I am parts is done as follows which I don't understand (in particular the imaginary part):

[itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle = \langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{1}\rangle + 2a\textrm{Re}(\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{1}\rangle) + 2b\textrm{Im}(\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{1}\rangle) + (a^{2} + b^{2})\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex]

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Parts 1) and 2) can pretty much be ignored they just provide context for the problem.. I think ultimately it's just a complex number/conjugation question which I haven't understood properly.

Related to (Algebra) Quantum Theory - Cauchy-Schwartz inequality proof

1. What is the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is a mathematical inequality that states the product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. It is often used in algebra and quantum theory to prove various mathematical theorems.

2. What is the importance of the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality in algebra and quantum theory?

The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is an essential tool in proving many important theorems in algebra and quantum theory. It helps establish the relationship between two vectors and is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and quantum mechanics.

3. How is the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality used to prove theorems in algebra and quantum theory?

The Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is used as a starting point to prove many important theorems in algebra and quantum theory. By establishing the relationship between two vectors, it can help prove other inequalities and equations that are crucial in these fields.

4. Can the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality be applied to any type of vector?

Yes, the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality can be applied to any type of vector, including complex vectors and vectors in Hilbert spaces. It is a general inequality that holds true for all types of vectors in mathematics.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality?

No, there are no exceptions to the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality. It is a universal principle in mathematics that holds true for all types of vectors. However, there may be cases where it appears to be violated, but this is due to the way the vectors are defined and does not disprove the inequality itself.