STIMON caused a protection fault in module user.exe

In summary, the conversation is about troubleshooting a blue screen error caused by the STIMON program. The conversation suggests disabling the program through the registry or reinstalling the scanner connected to the computer. It also recommends seeking support from the scanner's vendor if the issue persists.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
i have a problem can somone help please,
i have this message with a blue screen,
at 0003:00009e46
i have a printer and scanner connected
anthon 1.8

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
stimon is still image monitor. If you have windows XP or 2000, you can disable the service from control panel->administrative tools.

thanks RUSS i have 98se is that bad news?

Originally posted by wolram
i have a problem can somone help please,
i have this message with a blue screen,
at 0003:00009e46
i have a printer and scanner connected
anthon 1.8

If you feel comfortable editing the registry, go to this key:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

and look for stimon.exe. Set the value to 0.

However, this is a tool related to USB scanners, so if you do this, your scanner will not work properly. I recommend reinstalling the scanner, and seeing if that clears the problem up.

If that doesn't work, you should check out the website or technical support for the vendor of your scanner, since that seems to be the problem.

Zantra has the right idea
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q257815 [Broken]

Last edited:
thanks greg, zantra you have made my day

1. What exactly is STIMON and why does it cause a protection fault in module user.exe?

STIMON is a software program that monitors system activity and usage. It is designed to protect the system from potential threats and errors. A protection fault in module user.exe means that there was an error or violation in the user.exe module, which is responsible for managing user interface and input/output operations. This fault can be caused by various factors, such as corrupt files, incompatible software, or hardware issues.

2. How can I fix a protection fault caused by STIMON in module user.exe?

The first step is to identify the root cause of the fault. This can be done by checking the event logs and error messages. Once the cause is determined, you can try to resolve it by updating STIMON and other software, running a virus scan, or repairing any corrupted files. If the issue persists, you may need to seek assistance from a computer technician.

3. Can STIMON be disabled to prevent protection faults in module user.exe?

Yes, STIMON can be disabled, but this is not recommended as it plays an important role in protecting the system. Disabling it may leave the system vulnerable to potential threats. However, if necessary, STIMON can be disabled temporarily to troubleshoot the issue. Keep in mind that disabling STIMON may not necessarily fix the protection fault in module user.exe.

4. Is STIMON a common cause of protection faults in module user.exe?

STIMON is not a common cause of protection faults in module user.exe. Other factors, such as software conflicts, hardware issues, or user errors, can also contribute to these faults. It is important to properly identify the cause of the fault before attempting to fix it.

5. How can I prevent protection faults caused by STIMON in the future?

To prevent protection faults caused by STIMON, make sure to keep the software up-to-date and regularly run virus scans to ensure the system is not infected. Additionally, avoid installing incompatible software or making any changes to system files without proper knowledge. If the issue persists, it is best to seek help from a professional to properly diagnose and resolve the issue.