Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Algebra Not Needed After High School

• Banned

RTCNTC

Banned
Jan 31, 2017
Why do students say, as a typical excuse, "I don't need this algebra stuff because it is not required for success after high school"? What do you say? I say we use algebra everyday and don't even realize it.

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
I think they take it for granted that they didn't need to denote a number with a letter so they think that they don't use algebra.

• Banned

RTCNTC

Banned
Jan 31, 2017
It is sad to know that so many students, especially public school students, graduate with a false hope of a bright tomorrow. After high school, they enroll into college only to get a so-so education, you know, just enough to get by. I know people with a Master's Degree in various fields that cannot pass a reading test at the SAT level. How on earth were they able to complete college? Easy: THEY SIMPLY GOT PROMOTED WITHOUT ACTUALLY LEARNING A SINGLE THING. Too much time TEACHING THE TEST and not enough time teaching and learning in our schools.

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
Too much time TEACHING THE TEST and not enough time teaching and learning in our schools.
This stood out to me.

I don't know how it is on the other side of the Atlantic, but in the universities here, graded hand-in homework is becoming more and more common. At first sight, that may seem like a good thing (students get feedback, they can already collect points towards passing the course, etc.) but in my experience it can lead to exactly the following: During tutorials and exercise classes, students are mainly concerned with finishing the hand-in assignment before the deadline and they forget about the other problems that were also on this week's list. They are trained to pass, more than learn. I think they should be trained in both.

Last edited:
  • Banned

RTCNTC

Banned
Jan 31, 2017
Students are taught to pass exams but learning is not taking place. I consider myself a victim of public school education. After graduating from high school, I took the NYPD exam and scored a 58 percent. I'll never forget it. It was at that moment in time when I found out that my high school diploma was just a piece of paper, a certificate that I did not deserve to have, honestly.

I went to college and worked really hard to increase my academic skills. BTW, I failed ALL THREE COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAMS: MATH, READING, WRITING. I had to take and pass remedial courses without credits. I passed the math and writing exams after completing the remedial training but had to take the reading exam several times before finally passing with a score of 29/40. If memory serves me right, the passing score was 27/40. This is after high school graduation.