Algebra Help for Bernoulli's Equation

In summary, the equation P1 + (1/2)ρv1^2 = P2 + (1/2)(v1r1^s/r2^2)^2 can be solved for v1 by factoring out 1/2 and v1^2 and then solving for v1. However, be careful to make sure that both sides of the equation have v1^2 and not v1^s, as this can cause confusion.
NRasmus1
Solve for v1

P1 + (1/2)ρv1^2 = P2 + (1/2)(v1r1^s/r2^2)^2

I am attempting to solve this equation for v1, but I am getting stuck on some algebra. How do I solve for v1? I can't figure out how to do it without eliminating v1 altogether because I have a v1^2 on both sides of the equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No on the left you have v1^s and on the right you v1^2 so you still have v1 around to solve for.

I just caught that! I had intended v1^s on the left side to be v1^2

so you're going to get something like

(P1 - P2)

= (1/2v1^2 * r1^2 / r2^2 - 1/2 * p * v1^2)

right?

so then factor out 1/2 and v1^2 then solve for v1

I feel like a moron. Thank you very much.

Related to Algebra Help for Bernoulli's Equation

1. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a mathematical equation named after Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli. It relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a moving fluid in an idealized system. It is commonly used in fluid dynamics and aerodynamics.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation used in algebra?

In algebra, Bernoulli's equation is used to solve for unknown variables in a system involving fluid flow. It can be manipulated algebraically to solve for pressure, velocity, or height in a given system.

3. What are the key concepts in understanding Bernoulli's equation?

The key concepts in understanding Bernoulli's equation are conservation of energy, fluid dynamics, and the relationship between pressure, velocity, and height in a fluid flow system. It is important to have a strong understanding of these concepts in order to apply Bernoulli's equation correctly.

4. How do I know when to use Bernoulli's equation in problem solving?

Bernoulli's equation is commonly used in problems involving fluid flow, such as in pipes or airfoils. It can also be used in more complex systems involving multiple fluids or varying flow conditions. If the problem involves any of these elements, it is likely that Bernoulli's equation will be useful in solving it.

5. Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to real-life scenarios?

Yes, Bernoulli's equation can be applied to many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the airspeed of an airplane or determining the water pressure in a plumbing system. It is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting fluid flow in various systems.