What is the missing term in this trig integration problem?

In summary, the conversation involves a problem in trigonometric integration. The person is confused about the answer key which includes a csc^2 (2x) term in the solution. They discuss different ways to solve the problem and conclude that the book may have a typo.
mrbill
Hey guys, I got a little problem for you involving trig integration. I have listed my work below. My question is...well...the back of the book has a csc^2 (2x) in the absolute value at the end of the problem..and i can't even begin to fathom where they got it from. Here is the work..ill point out the disagreement from the answer key below

[tex]\int cot^3 (2x)dx[/tex]
[tex]\int cot^2 (2x) cot (2x)dx[/tex]
[tex]\int (csc^2 (2x) -1)cot (2x)dx[/tex]
[tex]\int (csc^2 (2x) cot (2x) - cot (2x))dx[/tex]
[tex]\int csc^2 (2x) cot (2x)dx - \int cot (2x)dx[/tex]

[tex]u=cot (2x)[/tex]
[tex]du= -2csc^2 (2x)dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{-1}{2}du=csc^2 (2x)dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{-1}{2} \int udu[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}u^2[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{-1}{4}cot^2 (2x)[/tex]

[tex]u=2x[/tex]
[tex]du=2dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}du = dx[/tex]
[tex]= \frac {1}{2} \ln | \sin (2x) |[/tex]

rewrite and move the negative to an exponent using properties of natural log..its stupid but that's how the textbook has the answer

[tex] \frac{-1}{4} cot^2 (2x) + \frac{1}{2} \ln (sin (2x))^-1[/tex]

switch them around so the negative isn't sticking out in front
rewrote inverse sin as csc and factored out 1/4
[tex]\frac{1}{4}(2 \ln |csc (2x) | - cot^2 (2x))[/tex]

Heres the problem: the book writes it as:

[tex]\frac{1}{4}(2 \ln |csc^2 (2x) | - cot^2 (2x))[/tex]

notice the csc^2 up there...cant figure it out!

mrbill

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're correct.

The answer is [tex]\frac{1}{4}(2 \ln |csc (2x) | - cot^2 (2x)) + C[/tex] but not [tex]\frac{1}{4}(2 \ln |csc^2 (2x) | - cot^2 (2x))+ C[/tex]

Last edited:
It seems odd that your book would put it in that form anyway, when they could have done this:

[tex] \frac{1}{4}(ln|csc^2(2x)| - cot^2(2x)) + C
[/tex]

or even this:

[tex] \frac{1}{4}(ln|csc^2(2x)| - csc^2(2x)) + C
[/tex]

Probably just a typo in the book.

remeber, Text book problems

they are solved by grad students, so you get a bunch of weird ways problems are composed all bunched togehter.

my Calc professor use to have to sit an think why the example is solved the way it is because it made no sense at first some times since a much simpler solution was more conspiquous.

1. What is a trig integration problem?

A trig integration problem involves finding the integral of a trigonometric function, which is a mathematical expression that contains trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent.

2. How do I solve a trig integration problem?

To solve a trig integration problem, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is important to select the appropriate technique based on the given problem.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a trig integration problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a trig integration problem. Many scientific and graphing calculators have built-in integration functions that can solve simple trig integration problems. However, it is important to note that calculators may not be able to solve more complex integrals.

4. What are some common trig identities used in trig integration?

Some common trig identities used in trig integration include the Pythagorean identities (sin²x + cos²x = 1), reciprocal identities (cscx = 1/sinx), and double-angle identities (sin2x = 2sinxcosx).

5. Are there any tips for solving trig integration problems?

Some tips for solving trig integration problems include carefully selecting the appropriate integration technique, using trig identities to simplify the integrand, and practicing with various examples to become familiar with the process.