Algebra 2 Help: Gas Volume Variation Problem & Solutions

In summary, the volume of a gas varies directly with its temperature in degrees Kelvin and inversely with its pressure. The constant variation is 228.6. The variation equation is v = 228.6T/P. If the temperature is 300 degrees K and the pressure is 73.66 cm of mercury, the volume of the gas would be 931 cm cubed.
GLprincess02
A problem on my homework reads like this:

The volume of a gas varies directly as it's temperature measured in degrees Kelvin and inversely as its pressure. When the temperature of a certain gas is 250 degrees K and its pressure is 76.2 cm of mercury, its volume in 750 cm cubed.
a) Find the constant variation.
b) Write a variation equation that models the situation.
c) What would the volume of the gas be if its temp. was 300 degrees K and its pressure was 73.66 cm of mercury? Write the answer to the nearest cubic cm.

These are the answers I got. Could someone tell me if they're right?
a) k=228.6
b) V = 228.6T divided by P (Sorry, I couldn't get LaTeX to work)
c) 931 cm cubed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) and c) are correct.

b) is not correct, because you don't have the volume "inversely" proportional to temperature.

Is it right now? I had the LaTeX up before, so it made it look different.

There, I got the LaTeX to work, so now my answer to b) looks like this:

[tex] v = \frac{228.6T}{P} [/tex]

If this is not right, I'm not sure how to fix it...

Last edited:
that is correct

Whoops, I meant to put 228.6. And thanks again. I wish I was as good at math as you are!

Related to Algebra 2 Help: Gas Volume Variation Problem & Solutions

1. What is a gas volume variation problem?

A gas volume variation problem is a type of algebra problem that involves solving for the volume of a gas at different pressures and temperatures. This type of problem utilizes the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do I solve a gas volume variation problem?

To solve a gas volume variation problem, you will need to use the ideal gas law and rearrange it to solve for the unknown variable. Make sure to convert all units to the appropriate form (e.g. pressure to atm, temperature to Kelvin) before solving. Once you have the value for the unknown variable, substitute it back into the original equation to find the volume of the gas.

3. What are the units for the ideal gas law?

The units for the ideal gas law are: pressure (P) in atmospheres (atm), volume (V) in liters (L), number of moles (n) in moles (mol), gas constant (R) in L·atm/mol·K, and temperature (T) in Kelvin (K).

4. Can I use the ideal gas law for any gas?

The ideal gas law is most accurate for gases that behave like an ideal gas, meaning they have low density, high temperature, and no intermolecular forces. However, it can still be used for real gases, as long as the conditions are not too extreme. In cases where the gas does not behave like an ideal gas, corrections may need to be made to the equation.

5. Can I use the ideal gas law for both gases and liquids?

No, the ideal gas law can only be used for gases. For liquids, a different equation, such as the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, is needed to calculate volume variation.