Algebra 2 Finding Zeros: How to Handle Complex Roots

In summary, Loonygirl is having trouble with the zeros of multiplicity 2 of the following polynomials. She has been told to use synthetic division, but is having trouble with it. She has also been told to factor the polynomial, but is having trouble with that, too. She has been told to use complex arithmetic, but is having trouble with that, too.
Loonygirl
For each of the following polynomials, one zero is given. List all zeros of the polynomials.

1. P(x) = x^3 - 3x - 2, -1 is a zero
A. -1, -2
B. -1, 2
C. -1 of multiplicity 2, 2
D. -1, 1, 2

2. P(x) = x^3 - 6x^2 + 11x - 6 , 3 is a zero
A. 3, -2, -1
B. 3, 2 of multiplicity 2
C. 3, 1 of multiplicity 2
D. 3, 2, 1

3. P(x) = 6x^3 + 19x^2 + 2x - 3 , -3 is a zero
A. There are no additional zeros
B. -3, 3, 2
C. -3, -1/3, 1/2
D. -3, 1/3, -1/2

4. P(x) = x^4 + 2x^3 - 7x^2 - 20x - 12, -2 is a zero of multiplicity 2
A. -2 of multiplicity 2, -3, 1
B. -2 of multiplicity 2, 6, 1
C. -2 of multiplicity 2, -6, -1
D. -2 of multiplicity 2, 3, -1

5. P(x) = x^3 + x^2 - 4x - 24, -2+2i is a zero
A. -2 + 2i, -2 - 2i, -3
B. -2 + 2i, -2 - 2i
C. -2 + 2i, 2 - 2i, 3
D. -2 + 2i, -2 - 2i, 3

I kinda understand how to work out the problems. But 3, 4, & 5 are giving me problems. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are having trouble with, for example, number 3, so us how you tried to do it. You divided the polynomial by (x+3), right?

If you are trying to see if something is a zero... plug that value in. IF that value is a zero, what should you get?

Additionally, for the zeros of multiplicity 2, you know that the original function contains two factors of (x - a) where f(a) = 0.

I'm pretty sure I got one and two right.

3. I worked out the problem using synthetic division, which is what I was told to do, and the answer came out even. I got:

6, 1, -1, and 0.

No remainder, completely even. But that's not one of the options I have to chose from, so I must being doing something wrong.

That's impossible. You have a cubic which means it will have 3 roots (not necessarily all real).

Plus use what I told you, when you plug in your root, what should you expect to get? What happens when you plug in yours? For example 0.

NoMoreExams said:
That's impossible. You have a cubic which means it will have 3 roots (not necessarily all real).

Plus use what I told you, when you plug in your root, what should you expect to get? What happens when you plug in yours? For example 0.

Loonygirl is giving you the results of the synthetic division, not the roots, so the polynomial has been factored into (x+3)(6x^2+x-1). Now solve (or factor) the quadratic.

After reading Dick's response, I turned in the assignment. I thought I had everything right... And I got 2 out of 5 right. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

Here's the answers I turned in:

1. D. -1, 1, 2

2. A. 3, -2, -1

3. C. -3, -1/3, 1/2

And I got 4 and 5 right... the hardest ones! I used synthetic division on 1-3. I thought I had it right...

For 1, the correct answer is B, since the zeroes are -1 and 2 (-1 is a zero of multiplicity 2).
For 3, the correct answer is D. The zeroes are -3, 1/3, and -1/2.

Be careful with synthetic division: it's easy to forget what you're doing and what all the numbers mean. One good thing about factoring polynomials is that after you have one factored, you can check your work by multiplying your factors. You should get what you started with.

With number 5 - how do you do synthetic division with an imaginary number?

Ferrus said:
With number 5 - how do you do synthetic division with an imaginary number?

You do it just like you do it with real numbers. You have to do complex arithmetic instead of real. But that's the hard way to do it. Since the polynomial is real you know that if -2+2i is a root then so is -2-2i (the complex conjugate). If you multiply (x-(-2+2i))(x-(-2-2i)) out it will give you a real quadratic that will divide P(x).

Related to Algebra 2 Finding Zeros: How to Handle Complex Roots

1. What are zeros in Algebra 2?

Zeros, also known as roots or solutions, refer to the values of x that make the equation equal to zero when substituted in. In other words, they are the values of x where the graph of the equation intersects the x-axis.

2. How do I find zeros in Algebra 2?

To find zeros in Algebra 2, you can use the quadratic formula or complete the square for quadratic equations, and use the rational root theorem or synthetic division for polynomial equations. You can also use technology, such as graphing calculators, to visualize and approximate the zeros of an equation.

3. Why is finding zeros important in Algebra 2?

Finding zeros in Algebra 2 is important because it helps us solve for unknown values and understand the behavior of a function or equation. The zeros can also give us information about the characteristics of the graph, such as the number of x-intercepts and the symmetry of the graph.

4. What are complex zeros in Algebra 2?

Complex zeros, also known as imaginary zeros, are zeros that have a real part and an imaginary part. They are solutions to equations that involve the imaginary unit, i, which is equal to the square root of -1. These types of zeros often occur in polynomial equations with odd degrees.

5. How can I check if a value is a zero in Algebra 2?

To check if a value is a zero in Algebra 2, you can substitute the value in for x in the equation and see if it makes the equation equal to zero. Alternatively, you can use the remainder theorem or synthetic division to check if the value is a zero. Technology, such as graphing calculators, can also be used to verify the zero by checking if the point lies on the graph of the equation.