Alex's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a mixing problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, we have determined the amount of chlorine present in the tank as a function of time, given the initial conditions and data. The solution is given by y(t) = 20(1-3t/200)^(5/3).
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

How do I solve this linear equation problem?

A tank with a capacity of 1600 L is full of a mixture of water and chlorine with a concentration of 0.0125 g of chlorine per liter. In order to reduce the concentration of chlorine, fresh water is pumped into the tank at a rate of 16 L/s. The mixture is kept stirred and is pumped out at a rate of 40 L/s. Find the amount of chlorine in the tank as a function of time. (Let y be the amount of chlorine in grams and t be the time in seconds.)

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Alex,

We want to determine the amount $y(t)$ in grams of chlorine present in the tank at time $t$ in seconds. So, let's begin with:

\(\displaystyle \text{time rate of change of chlorine = time rate of chlorine coming in minus time rate of chlorine going out}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{time rate of chlorine coming in=concentration of solution coming in times the time rate of volume coming in}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{time rate of chlorine going out=concentration of solution going out times the time rate of volume going out}\)

Let:

\(\displaystyle C_I\) = the constant concentration of solution coming in.

\(\displaystyle R_I\) - the constant rate of incoming solution.

\(\displaystyle C_O\) = the variable concentration of solution going out.

\(\displaystyle R_O\) - the constant rate of outgoing solution.

Hence, stated mathematically, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=C_IR_I-C_OR_O\)

Concentration equals amount per volume, and the volume of solution is a function of $t$, let's call it $V(t)$. So, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=C_IR_I-\frac{y(t)}{V(t)}R_O\)

To find the volume of solution present in the tank at time $t$, consider the IVP:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}=R_I-R_O\) where \(\displaystyle V(0)=V_0\)

Separating variables, and integrating, we have:

\(\displaystyle \int\,dV=\left(R_I-R_O \right)\int\,dt\)

\(\displaystyle V(t)=\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+C\)

Using the initial values, we may determine the parameter $C$:

\(\displaystyle V(0)=C=V_0\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle V(t)=\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0\)

Thus, we may now write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=C_IR_I-\frac{y(t)}{\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0}R_O\)

Arranging the ODE in standard linear form, we may model the amount of chlorine present in the tank at time $t$ with the following IVP:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}+\frac{R_O}{\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0}y(t)=C_IR_I\) where $y(0)=y_0$

Computing the integrating factor, we find:

\(\displaystyle \mu(t)=e^{\int \frac{R_O}{\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0}\,dt}=\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\)

Multiplying the ODE by this integrating factor, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\frac{dy}{dt}+R_O\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}-1}y(t)=C_IR_I\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\)

Observing that the left side of the equation is now the differentiation of the product $\mu(t)\cdot y(t)$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\cdot y(t) \right)=C_IR_I\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\)

Integrating with respect to $t$, we have:

\(\displaystyle \int\,d\left(\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\cdot y(t) \right)=C_IR_I\int\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\,dt\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\cdot y(t)=\frac{C_IR_I}{R_I-R_O}\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}+1}+C\)

Solving for $y(t)$ we find:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{C_IR_I}{R_I-R_O}\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)+C\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{-\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\)

Using the initial conditions, we may determine the parameter $C$:

\(\displaystyle y(0)=\frac{C_IR_I}{R_I-R_O}\left(V_0 \right)+C\left(V_0 \right)^{-\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}=y_0\)

\(\displaystyle C=V_0^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\left(y_0-\frac{C_IR_IV_0}{R_I-R_O} \right)\)

Thus, the solution satisfying the IVP is:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{C_IR_I}{R_I-R_O}\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)+V_0^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\left(y_0-\frac{C_IR_IV_0}{R_I-R_O} \right)\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)^{-\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\)

\(\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{C_IR_I}{R_I-R_O}\left(\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0 \right)+\left(y_0-\frac{C_IR_IV_0}{R_I-R_O} \right)\left(\frac{V_0}{\left(R_I-R_O \right)t+V_0} \right)^{\frac{R_O}{R_I-R_O}}\)

Using the given data for this problem:

\(\displaystyle C_I=0\,\frac{\text{g}}{\text{L}},\,R_I=16\, \frac{\text{L}}{\text{s}},\,R_O=40\, \frac{\text{L}}{\text{s}},\,V_0=1600\text{ L},\,y_0=0.0125\, \frac{\text{g}}{\text{L}}\cdot1600\text{ L}=20\text{ g}\)

we have:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=20\left(1-\frac{3}{200}t \right)^{\frac{5}{3}}\)

Here is a plot of the solution on the relevant domain \(\displaystyle 0\le t\le\frac{200}{3}\):

View attachment 1601

Attachments

• alexplot.jpg
    alexplot.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 43

Related to Alex's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a mixing problem

1. What is the mixing problem that Alex is referring to?

The mixing problem refers to a mathematical problem that involves determining the concentration of a substance in a solution after it has been mixed with another substance.

2. What are the variables involved in the mixing problem?

The variables involved in the mixing problem are the initial concentrations of the substances being mixed, the volume of each substance, and the final volume of the solution.

3. How is the mixing problem solved?

The mixing problem is solved using the formula: C1V1 + C2V2 = C3V3, where C1 and C2 are the initial concentrations, V1 and V2 are the volumes, and C3 and V3 are the final concentration and volume of the solution.

4. What is the importance of the mixing problem in scientific research?

The mixing problem is important in scientific research as it allows scientists to accurately determine the concentration of a substance in a solution, which is crucial in various experiments and studies.

5. Are there any limitations to the mixing problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the mixing problem, such as assuming ideal mixing conditions and not taking into account any changes in temperature or pressure during the mixing process. It is important to consider these limitations when using the mixing problem in scientific research.