Alerts Bug: Investigating Unreceived Alert for Reply

• Bug
  • Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary, although Greg received an alert for the thread, he did not see the post that was replied to. He believes that the thread may have been "watched" but was unread when he checked. He also thinks that the Alert Preferences may have been enabled.
Drakkith
Mentor
I think I've had a bug with the Alerts feature. At 9:49 my time I replied to the following thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...arent-separated-colors-actually-mixed.878650/

A few hours later the thread was replied to, however there is no alert for this thread in either my Alerts dropdown or the Alerts page. There have been Alerts for other threads I'm watching, but not for this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've noticed this too and I don't think its a bug. It seems to me you don't get an alert for every single reply that is posted to a watched thread. There seems to be a little more complicated way of figuring out when to send a reply alert to the user but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe it only sends an alert after a certain number of replies has been posted, or maybe just sends an alert if after some time there is at least a new reply. The second possibility seems more probable to me.

You are correct in that you only receive an alert once, no matter how many replies there are, until you view the thread again. However the very next post after mine is the one I'm talking about, so I should have received an alert.

Drakkith said:
You are correct in that you only receive an alert once, no matter how many replies there are, until you view the thread again. However the very next post after mine is the one I'm talking about, so I should have received an alert.
Yeah, there is only one alert. But what I'm saying is that maybe that one alert is not when a new reply is sent exactly since the last time you visited the thread. Maybe the system waits for some time T and if after that time there is at least one reply, then alerts you. Or maybe it waits until there are at least N replies since you left, and then alerts you.

Drakkith said:
I think I've had a bug with the Alerts feature
Are you sure the thread is still being "Watched"?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you sure the thread is still being "Watched"?

Yes. I checked as soon as I realized someone had replied and I am still watching the thread (I have the "unwatch thread" option showing instead of the "watch thread").

Drakkith said:
Yes. I checked as soon as I realized someone had replied and I am still watching the thread (I have the "unwatch thread" option showing instead of the "watch thread").

Alert Preferences enabled?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Alert Preferences enabled?

Yep. I've been getting alerts left and right for a half dozen different threads over the last hour or so, including this one.

Did the thread appear in the https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads as unread?
(I think this page is much more useful than getting 10+ alerts for threads).

mfb said:
Did the thread appear in the https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads as unread?
(I think this page is much more useful than getting 10+ alerts for threads).

I didn't check that page, and for the moment the thread is not "unread".

I'm off to bed to get a couple of hours of sleep. I'll answer any further questions after I wake up.

I swear it has happened multiple times. If I can pin down another example I'll let you know.
Thanks Greg.

I have been experiencing oddness in alerts too, though I have no specific examples.

I think I missed a couple yesterday. I assumed it was just me losing track, but if others were also having issues maybe not. I'll also keep my eyes open so I can give useful bug reports...

Related to Alerts Bug: Investigating Unreceived Alert for Reply

1. What is an "Alerts Bug"?

An "Alerts Bug" refers to a technical issue where a user does not receive an expected alert or notification when they are supposed to. This can happen for various reasons, such as a glitch in the system or an error in the coding.

2. How do you investigate an unreceived alert for reply?

To investigate an unreceived alert for reply, we first check the system logs to see if there were any errors or issues during the time the alert was supposed to be sent. We also look at the user's settings to ensure they have not disabled notifications. If necessary, we may also conduct tests to replicate the issue and troubleshoot further.

3. What are some common causes of unreceived alerts for reply?

Some common causes of unreceived alerts for reply include server issues, network connectivity problems, incorrect user settings, or bugs in the code. It could also be due to a delay in the system, where the alert is sent but takes longer than expected to reach the user.

4. How can I prevent alerts bugs from happening?

To prevent alerts bugs from happening, it is crucial to have a rigorous testing process in place to catch any issues before they are released to users. Regular maintenance and updates to the system and code can also help prevent bugs from occurring. Additionally, it is important to have a reliable and stable server and network infrastructure.

5. Can users do anything to fix an unreceived alert for reply?

In most cases, users cannot fix an unreceived alert for reply on their own. However, they can check their settings to ensure they have enabled notifications for the specific alert they did not receive. If the issue persists, users can report it to the technical support team, who can investigate and resolve the issue.