Alegbra of simple harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of rearranging equations for simple harmonic motion and finding time as the subject. The equations of concern include a_x = -Aw^2 sin(wt) and 1/sin(wt) = -Aw^2/a_x. The conversation also mentions the use of ω (omega) and the difficulties of rearranging equations with sin/cos.
Clairepie

Homework Statement

I am wanting to learn how to rearrange equations for simple harmonic motion equations (I am new to LaTeX so gimme a break!) mostly to find time (t) as the subject, but I am not very good at rearranging equations with sin/cos etc and want to get better at it, partly homework partly maths skills for the future, partly I like to learn anyway!

Homework Equations

[tex]
a_{x} = -Aw^2 sin(wt)
[/tex]

[tex]
1/sin(wt) = -Aw^2/a_{x}
[/tex]

As the initial phase = 0 it's not included here. and w= omega

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that
[tex]
1/sin(wt) = -Aw^2/a_{x}
[/tex]

But not sure where to go from there. :confused:

Clairepie

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Clairepie! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)

sinωt = ax/Aω2

ωt = arcsin( ax/Aω2 )

t = arcsin( ax/Aω2 )/ω :smile:

Thank you and for the omega cheeky little ω!

Yes, I've never noticed that before, ω does look cheeky, doesn't it …

either chipmunky-cheeky or non-specific rear-cheeky! :biggrin:

You mean it looks like a bum?! I can't unsee it now! I just ohpe I don't slip up in an exam "2 pi f = bum"

After 6pm I don't fix typos!

Related to Alegbra of simple harmonic motion

1. What is the definition of simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillation in which a system or object moves back and forth in a regular, repeating pattern around a central equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point and acts in the opposite direction.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase constant.

3. How does the amplitude affect simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion affects the maximum displacement of the system from equilibrium. A larger amplitude results in a larger maximum displacement, while a smaller amplitude results in a smaller maximum displacement. The period and frequency of the motion remain constant regardless of the amplitude.

4. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and energy?

The energy of a system in simple harmonic motion is constantly changing between potential and kinetic energy. At the equilibrium point, the energy is purely potential, while at the maximum displacement, the energy is purely kinetic. The total energy of the system remains constant throughout the motion.

5. How is simple harmonic motion used in real-world applications?

Simple harmonic motion is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in pendulums, springs, and musical instruments. It is also used in engineering and design for creating stable and predictable motion, such as in shock absorbers, car suspensions, and clocks.