Albert Einstein & Quantum Mechanics

In summary, Albert Einstein was not a fan of quantum mechanics due to his objections to the probabilistic interpretation and the existence of hidden variables. However, his objections have since been addressed and quantum mechanics has played a significant role in advancing physics, leading to innovations such as transistors, electronics, LCD screens, and lasers. Some argue that physics will continue to advance, while others believe that metaphysics should not be mixed with physics.
jhooper3581
Okay, I have heard that Albert Einstein wasn't really into this whole idea of quantum mechanics. What was some of the reasons for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
He didn't like the probabilistic interpretation of it among more technical problems. He was also bothered by things like the EPR paradox and felt that there must be a hidden variable theory (although later, local hidden variables theories were determined to be impossible). In general, basically all of his specific objections have been smoothed over since then.

Okay, thanks for the reply! I'm very confident that physics will get advanced as time goes by.

jhooper3581 said:
Okay, thanks for the reply! I'm very confident that physics will get advanced as time goes by.

Advanced from what? Look around you. We're in the digital age, the age that quantum built. Quantum mechanics gave us the transistor, electronics, LCD screens, lasers, etc.

I don't think that QM "gave us" the transistor... What specific QM idea is involved in the goold old Schokley BJT ?!

Of course, solid state built up on QM, but it's like saying Newton gave us the big-bang theory...

sokrates said:
I don't think that QM "gave us" the transistor... What specific QM idea is involved in the goold old Schokley BJT ?!

Of course, solid state built up on QM, but it's like saying Newton gave us the big-bang theory...

Well you need quantum to get condensed and solid state and get quasi-particle treatment of holes and such. I mean all of our understanding of semiconductors comes from quantum. A quantum particle in an infinite, vanishly weak periodic potential basically.

he said that probability was not physics at all... am i right?

ngjingyi said:

He believed that one could do without probabilities, in a deterministic way.

ngjingyi said:

well he said "God does not play dice with the universe".

maverick_starstrider said:

to which Niels Bohr replied "Stop telling God what to do with his dice."

Unfortunately Einstein did not know other interpretations.

Advanced from what? Look around you. We're in the digital age, the age that quantum built. Quantum mechanics gave us the transistor, electronics, LCD screens, lasers, etc.
Man are you saying....Physics will always grow.Such are wonderful yes but as they been perfected no. They are problems and there will always be problems

Metaphysics can't be mixed with physics total foolishness.

sokrates said:

Plenty of QM was involved, the whole theoretical development was done on a basis of QM theory - what other theory was there? Go look at Shockley's and Bardeen's papers from 1947-50. Even when not using quantum theory explicitly, they were still working from it.

Equating those two things is a lot more far-fetched than saying transistors and solid state theory were a consequence of QM. About 250 years elapsed between the publication of Principia and the Big Bang theory. Quantum mechanics to the development of the transistor was about 20.

Related to Albert Einstein & Quantum Mechanics

1. Who was Albert Einstein?

Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who is widely considered one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century. He is best known for his theory of relativity and his groundbreaking contributions to the field of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is based on the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. The theory has two parts: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which extends the theory to include gravity.

3. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the idea that particles can exist in multiple states at the same time, known as superposition, and that their behavior is inherently unpredictable, described by probabilities rather than definite outcomes.

4. How did Einstein contribute to quantum mechanics?

While Einstein is best known for his theory of relativity, he also made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. He proposed the idea of the photoelectric effect, which helped to explain the behavior of light as both a wave and a particle. He also developed the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

5. Why was Einstein skeptical of quantum mechanics?

Despite his contributions to the field, Einstein was skeptical of some aspects of quantum mechanics, particularly the idea of entanglement and the concept of randomness at the subatomic level. He famously said, "God does not play dice with the universe," expressing his belief that there must be underlying deterministic laws governing the behavior of particles. However, his skepticism did not diminish the importance of his contributions to the field.