Alan Guth video on the BIG BANG Theory

In summary, this conversation is about an excellent presentation given by Alan Guth of MIT about the BIG BANG theory and inflationary cosmology. The presentation was part of the Institute of Physics' outreach event and was divided into two parts. A link to the second part was provided in the conversation. The presentation was well-organized and accessible to a broad audience. The conversation also includes a request for a specific graph from the presentation.
Naty1
Excellent presentation: An introduction, or possible review, of the BIG BANG theory by an originator of inflation theory, Alan Guth of MIT:

Note the video is in TWO PARTS...scroll down a bit for part II.

13 October 2009, Institute of Physics
Inflationary Cosmology: Is Our Universe Part of a Multiverse?

Physics news on Phys.org
Naty1 said:
Excellent presentation: An introduction, or possible review, of the BIG BANG theory by an originator of inflation theory, Alan Guth of MIT:

Note the video is in TWO PARTS...scroll down a bit for part II.

13 October 2009, Institute of Physics
Inflationary Cosmology: Is Our Universe Part of a Multiverse?

I didn't see a link. Here is one to Part II, you may have meant to include this:
http://www.channels.com/episodes/show/4699870/IOP-Outreach-Bradford-Mela

I just sampled it. Seems a clear well-organized presentation accessible to broad audience.Thanks for the pointer!

Last edited by a moderator:
marcus said:
I didn't see a link. Here is one to Part II, you may have meant to include this:
http://www.channels.com/episodes/show/4699870/IOP-Outreach-Bradford-Mela

I just sampled it. Seems a clear well-organized presentation accessible to broad audience.Thanks for the pointer!

I watched the entire video, it's an excellent overview. I'm trying to find that slide/graph showing the various fits for the multipole expansion of the CMB. I need to add that to the notes for my astronomy course. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOOPS! Here's the link I used, Part I and Part II
http://www.iop.org/activity/awards/International%20Award/Newton09/page_37514.html

Does anyone know where I can get Guth's "favorite graph in the whole world" and the one following in this talk (shows "curves representing other theories")? I emailed him a request, but he's probably too busy.

Related to Alan Guth video on the BIG BANG Theory

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. Who is Alan Guth and what is his role in the Big Bang Theory?

Alan Guth is an American theoretical physicist who proposed the theory of cosmic inflation in the early 1980s. His theory suggests that the universe underwent a rapid period of expansion in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang, solving some of the problems with the original Big Bang Theory.

3. How did Alan Guth's video contribute to our understanding of the Big Bang Theory?

Alan Guth's video, "The Big Bang Theory Explained," provides a clear and concise explanation of the Big Bang Theory and how cosmic inflation fits into it. It also helps to visualize the complex concepts involved, making it easier for non-scientists to understand.

4. Is the Big Bang Theory universally accepted by scientists?

While the Big Bang Theory is widely accepted by the scientific community, it is not without its critics. Some scientists propose alternative theories, such as the steady-state theory or the oscillating universe theory, to explain the origin of the universe.

5. How does the Big Bang Theory relate to the search for the origin of the universe?

The Big Bang Theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe. By studying the properties and behavior of the universe, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of how it began and what processes have shaped it over time.