Airy Function Power Series Help

In summary: The subscripts on the fractions in the expansion mean that the terms are generated by multiplying the terms within the parentheses by the natural logarithm of the kth term in the parentheses. In summary, the power series expansion for the airybi function is\frac{1}{(3)^{2/3}\Gamma(\frac{2}{3})}\sum\frac{1}{(\frac{2}{3})_{k}k!}(\frac{z^{3}}{9})^{k}-\frac{1}{(3)^{1/3}\Gamma(\frac{1}{3})}\sum\frac{1}{(\frac{4}{3})_{
mknut389
I am currently working on a solution to an differential equation of the form I(x)-xI(x)=0.

The solution is the airyai and airybi functions, and I have found the power series equations for these.

I am using two different mathematical programs to evaluate the solution, and each are giving me different answers, and I am attempting to verify which is correct.

My issue is there is a notation in the power series that I am unfamiliar with, and with all my searching I cannot find a explanation, so I am turning to this forum to see if anyone here could help.

The power series for the airyai function is

[itex]\frac{1}{(3)^{2/3}\Gamma(\frac{2}{3})}\sum\frac{1}{(\frac{2}{3})_{k}k!}(\frac{z^{3}}{9})^{k}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{(3)^{1/3}\Gamma(\frac{1}{3})}\sum\frac{1}{(\frac{4}{3})_{k}k!}(\frac{z^{3}}{9})^{k}[/itex]

which according to my source expands to

[itex]\frac{1}{(3)^{2/3}\Gamma(\frac{2}{3})}(1+\frac{z^{3}}{6}+\frac{z^{6}}{180}+...)[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{(3)^{1/3}\Gamma(\frac{1}{3})}(1+\frac{z^{3}}{12}+\frac{z^{6}}{504}+...)[/itex]

My notation question is what does the subscript on the fraction in both summations mean
i.e. [itex](\frac{2}{3})_{k}[/itex] and [itex](\frac{4}{3})_{k}[/itex]

Through my searching I came across one topic that stated it was a special type of factorial:
[itex]x_{n}=\frac{x!}{(x-n)!}[/itex]
which since have fractions would be
[itex]x_{n}=\frac{\Gamma(x+1)}{\Gamma(x+1-n)!}[/itex]

Unless I am using [itex]\Gamma[/itex] incorrectly, when using this within the summation, it does not provide me with the values shown in the expansion.

For the life of me I can find no explanation as to what the subscript may mean. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
mknut389 said:
which according to my source expands to

[itex]\frac{1}{(3)^{2/3}\Gamma(\frac{2}{3})}(1+\frac{z^{3}}{6}+\frac{z^{6}}{180}+...)[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{(3)^{1/3}\Gamma(\frac{1}{3})}(1+\frac{z^{3}}{12}+\frac{z^{6}}{504}+...)[/itex]

I'm certain your power series expansion is incorrect. There should be terms [itex]z^{3k+1}[/itex] for [itex]k\in\mathbb{Z}_{\ge 0}[/itex].

The correct power series expansion is provided in page 446 of Abramowitz and Stegun.

The subscript notation is also defined there.

Thank you. That link lead me to another chapter in the book which gave me the explanation, as well as some more info on the airy function

Related to Airy Function Power Series Help

What is the Airy function power series?

The Airy function power series is a mathematical series that represents the Airy function, which is a special function used to solve differential equations and is named after the British astronomer George Biddell Airy. It is defined as a power series with coefficients that depend on the parameters of the Airy function.

What is the importance of the Airy function power series?

The Airy function power series is important because it allows for the calculation of the Airy function at any point without the need for complex integrals or other special functions. It also has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where differential equations are used.

How is the Airy function power series derived?

The Airy function power series is derived using the Taylor series expansion, which is a mathematical technique for representing a function as an infinite sum of terms. In the case of the Airy function, the coefficients are calculated using the Gamma function and the binomial coefficient.

What is the convergence of the Airy function power series?

The Airy function power series converges for all complex values of the argument, except for the points where the function has a singularity. This means that it can be used to approximate the Airy function for a wide range of values, making it a valuable tool in many applications.

How is the Airy function power series used in real-world problems?

The Airy function power series is used in various real-world problems, such as in the study of light diffraction, the analysis of wave phenomena, and the modeling of fluid flow. It is also used in the solution of many differential equations that arise in physics, engineering, and other fields.