Airwriting Next Big Thing in Cell Phones?

In summary, a new application has been developed that allows cell phone users to write short notes in the air and send them automatically to an e-mail address. This is seen as a step towards merging the real world with the information power of the Internet. However, some have expressed concerns about the potential for this to be distracting while driving or in public places, and have suggested alternative solutions such as voice recognition software or using a device that transmits spoken words to the recipient.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
This will be the next thing that one is not supposed to while driving.

Air Writing: Next Big Thing in Cell Phones?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090610/sc_livescience/airwritingnextbigthingincellphones
Forget fumbling with tiny cell phone keys. A prototype of a new application allows cell phone users to write short notes in the air and send them automatically to an e-mail address.

This represents just one possible step toward allowing people to naturally merge the real world with the information power of the Internet. Travelers and other mobile users could air-write notes to themselves rather than have to text on the run.

"By holding the phone like a pen, you can write short messages or draw simple diagrams in the air," said Sandip Agrawal, an electrical and computer engineering student at Duke University in North Carolina.

The air-writing app takes advantage of accelerometers already inside cell phones such as Apple's iPhone. Accelerometers normally keep track of phone movements and orientation, such as having the display screen rotate from portrait to landscape mode.

. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Definitely interesting. With this, wii, and that new xbox modification it seems as though we are finally starting to step into the world of virtual reality technology.

Astronuc said:
This will be the next thing that one is not supposed to while driving.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090610/sc_livescience/airwritingnextbigthingincellphones

It can't use cursive. :smile: I can't read my own cursive anymore anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astronuc said:
Oh great. Yet another device that makes modern society indistinguishable from an insane asylum. Cell phones already make us walk around talking to thin air. Now we'll be waving our arms about like raving lunatics while we talk to the thin air.

D H said:
Oh great. Yet another device that makes modern society indistinguishable from an insane asylum. Cell phones already make us walk around talking to thin air. Now we'll be waving our arms about like raving lunatics while we talk to the thin air.

At least iPods don't have nunchuck attachments yet

Great... the drivers in nearby cars will think they're getting the finger or some other gesture. Sounds like a recipe for even more road rage.

Then I think my husbands typing occasional work-related emails while we're out in restaurants is rude already (sometimes I want to grab that Blackberry and crush it on the floor!)... this would make me want to break his fingers!

I don't understand the benefit of this. Why would someone rather write as if they're writing on an imaginary chalkboard rather than type or use a stylus to write directly on the phone/PDA/thing? It seems like a step backward rather than forward. Can you imagine if everyone on crowded buses were waving their arms wildly to send messages rather than typing on tiny keyboards?

A lot of this depends on how much I need to move the phone. If you can literally motion like you're writing with a pen, it would be nearly imperceptible. If you need to swing your arms around in a dramatic manner to get good results then this is worthless. Nothing says you need to hold your hand up while writing, you could just keep it in your lap and it would be very discreet. Also,

This represents just one possible step toward allowing people to naturally merge the real world with the information power of the Internet.

What

D H said:

Well, the lunatics might like it.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but some of the people you see walking around with a headset "talking" might not actually be talking to a real person. It is apparently quite common for people who hear voices due to e.g. schizofrenia to wear a headset most of the time; that way people around them won't think there is anything strange going on when the person feels compelled to answer the voices.

Hence, the advent of headsets actually made life at least a bit easier for some people.

(and no, I am not joking)

I got an idea, how about an application that types the text message as you say what you want typed for you! Seems like the common sense thing to do.

All that time and effort, when all you really need/want is voice recognition software, plus its hands free. This is a terrible phone application.

(Plus my phone has this nice button that you press and say "CALL BRIAN" ..."calling brian". No need to fumble while dialing.)

Fail.

Cyrus said:
I got an idea, how about an application that types the text message as you say what you want typed for you! Seems like the common sense thing to do.

Oh, wait, how about a device that automatically transmits the words you're saying to the person you want to send them to, then they can listen to them rather than read text messages, and can respond back by voice... :rolleyes:

Cyrus said:

You're right, that is the ideal solution for when you need to be quiet or the background noise is overwhelming

Office_Shredder said:
You're right, that is the ideal solution for when you need to be quiet or the background noise is overwhelming

Allright mr. smart guy. No more comments from you. Let me rant on this application in peace.

Still, if that's the case I'd rather hit buttons than make all sorts of hand motions.

Moonbear said:
Oh, wait, how about a device that automatically transmits the words you're saying to the person you want to send them to, then they can listen to them rather than read text messages, and can respond back by voice... :rolleyes:

:biggrin:does that differ than calling the person?!

drizzle said:
:biggrin:does that differ than calling the person?!

wow someone missed moonbears sarcasm there!

Anyhow, I do think it's strange they haven't come up with some form of voice recognition (particularly as an in car thing) for texting. Given the complications involved in the hand writing software and hardware, I would have thought it is easier to do voice recognition.

edward said:
It can't use cursive. :smile: I can't read my own cursive anymore anyway.

In other words, it reliably reproduces cursive :biggrin:

jarednjames said:
wow someone missed moonbears sarcasm there!

I didn’t miss it clever!
just boosting it

drizzle said:
I didn’t miss it clever!
just boosting it

well the way it was written suggested otherwise to me. Had a tone of sarcasm from yourself to be honest.

Yes, I despise smileys.

Related to Airwriting Next Big Thing in Cell Phones?

What is airwriting and how does it work?

Airwriting is a technology that allows users to write or input text on their cell phones using only hand gestures in the air. It works by using sensors on the phone to detect the movements of the user's hand and translate them into text or commands.

How is airwriting different from voice recognition?

Airwriting is different from voice recognition because it does not require the user to speak out loud, making it a more discreet and convenient option. It also eliminates the need for a quiet environment and can be used in noisy or public settings.

Is airwriting accurate and reliable?

The accuracy and reliability of airwriting depend on the technology and algorithms used by the specific device or app. However, with advancements in technology, airwriting has become more accurate and reliable, with some systems achieving up to 99% accuracy.

How can airwriting be useful in cell phones?

Airwriting can be useful in cell phones as it provides a hands-free and more natural way of inputting text or commands. It can be especially beneficial for individuals with disabilities or those who have difficulty typing on a small keyboard. It also allows for quick and easy input, reducing the time and effort needed for typing.

Are there any limitations to airwriting?

Like any technology, airwriting also has its limitations. It may not be suitable for complex or lengthy inputs, and it may not work well in certain lighting or environmental conditions. There may also be a learning curve for some users to get comfortable with the hand gestures and accuracy of the system.