Airplane Motion in Plane: West 900 km/h vs NE 300 km/h

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario in which an airplane is flying due west at an airspeed of 900 km/h through a hurricane with winds of 300 km/h from the northeast. The question asks in which direction the plane is moving relative to the ground and the suggested solution involves using trigonometry for non-right triangles, specifically the Sine Rule and the Cosine Rule. A link is provided for further explanation.
RENI2345

Homework Statement

An airplane maintains a heading due west at an airspeed of 900 km/h. It is flyinh through a hurricane with winds of 300 km/h from northeast.
a) in which direction is the plane moving relative to the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I have draw the picture of how it looks, and written my givens down, this is confusing me because it is no longer a right angle triangle, what do I have to do?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
RENI2345 said:

Homework Statement

An airplane maintains a heading due west at an airspeed of 900 km/h. It is flyinh through a hurricane with winds of 300 km/h from northeast.
a) in which direction is the plane moving relative to the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I have draw the picture of how it looks, and written my givens down, this is confusing me because it is no longer a right angle triangle, what do I have to do?[/B]
Use trigonometry for non-right triangles.

Do you know the Sine Rule? The Cosine Rule?

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/step-up/sect4/index.htm

Scroll down a bit from the top.

Likes cellurl

Related to Airplane Motion in Plane: West 900 km/h vs NE 300 km/h

1. How is the speed of an airplane measured in the air?

The speed of an airplane is measured in knots, which is equivalent to one nautical mile per hour. This is the standard unit of measurement in aviation.

2. What determines the direction of an airplane's motion?

The direction of an airplane's motion is determined by the angle of the airplane's nose in relation to the horizon. This is controlled by the pilot through the use of the airplane's control surfaces.

3. How does the speed of an airplane affect its flight time?

The speed of an airplane directly affects its flight time. The faster an airplane travels, the shorter its flight time will be. However, other factors such as wind speed and direction can also impact flight time.

4. How do different speeds and directions of airplanes affect air traffic control?

Air traffic control carefully monitors the speed and direction of all airplanes to ensure safe and efficient flight paths. Different speeds and directions can impact air traffic control's ability to manage air traffic and may require adjustments to flight paths to maintain safety.

5. What causes an airplane to change its direction during flight?

An airplane's direction can be changed due to a variety of factors, such as wind speed and direction, air traffic control instructions, and pilot input. The airplane's control surfaces and engines also play a role in changing its direction during flight.