Aircraft Carrier Forces on Impact

In summary, we are trying to find the estimated impact force on the front end of an aircraft that is stopped by a jump cable on an aircraft carrier ship. The aircraft is traveling at 110 mph with the front of the plane 3 feet off the deck of the ship, and the cable is assumed to stop the aircraft immediately. The aircraft is 24 feet long and has a weight distribution of 1000 lbs located 4 feet above the rear axle, 5000 lbs located 5 feet above the center of the plane when it is level, and 1500 lbs located 3 feet above the front axle. Gravity is not ignored and the impact on the front tire is assumed to be zero. The main force felt is the
codywookman
I need help finding the forces when an aircraft’s jump cable catches to stop a plane on an aircraft carrier ship. The aircraft is traveling at 110 mph with the front of the plane 3 feet off the deck of the ship. If the assumption is made that the cable stops the aircraft immediately (the cable is not elastic), what would be the estimated impact force on the front end of the aircraft with the following conditions?
-The aircraft is 24 feet long
-1000 lbs located 4 feet above rear axle (pivot point)
-5000 lbs located 5 feet above center of plant (when plane is level)
-1500 lbs located 3 feet above front axle
-Do NOT ignore gravity
-Assume no impact absorbed by the front tire

I think it involves dynamics with momentum, kinetic energy, and maybe more.
L (linear momentum) = mass * velocity
A (angular momentum) = L x r (cross product of linear momentum and vector)

Tried using angular momentum (lb ft2 / sec) but that will not add with gravitational force multiplied by distance and mass (lb ft2 / s2). I'm really stuck here please help get me started!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The assumption that the cable is not elastic (or on a spool with a brake) is so far from reality that I don't see how it is a useful constraint to the problem. Aside from a momentary impact force of the wheels hitting the carrier (then the continuous force of its weight), the main force felt is the acceleration force of the cable stopping the plane via f=ma.

codywookman said:
I need help finding the forces when an aircraft’s jump cable catches to stop a plane on an aircraft carrier ship. The aircraft is traveling at 110 mph with the front of the plane 3 feet off the deck of the ship. If the assumption is made that the cable stops the aircraft immediately (the cable is not elastic), what would be the estimated impact force on the front end of the aircraft with the following conditions?
-The aircraft is 24 feet long
-1000 lbs located 4 feet above rear axle (pivot point)
-5000 lbs located 5 feet above center of plant (when plane is level)
-1500 lbs located 3 feet above front axle
-Do NOT ignore gravity
-Assume no impact absorbed by the front tire

I think it involves dynamics with momentum, kinetic energy, and maybe more.
L (linear momentum) = mass * velocity
A (angular momentum) = L x r (cross product of linear momentum and vector)

Tried using angular momentum (lb ft2 / sec) but that will not add with gravitational force multiplied by distance and mass (lb ft2 / s2). I'm really stuck here please help get me started!

I really see no attempt on solving this problem on your end. Please provide more work and thoughts.

russ_watters said:
The assumption that the cable is not elastic (or on a spool with a brake) is so far from reality that I don't see how it is a useful constraint to the problem. Aside from a momentary impact force of the wheels hitting the carrier (then the continuous force of its weight), the main force felt is the acceleration force of the cable stopping the plane via f=ma.

I guess I forgot to write in the problem that the only force we are looking for is the vertical force exerted on the front axle of the plane due to it rotating downward so quickly. I misjudged the effect that the cable would contribute so much more to this effect if it were rigid instead of elastic. Any ideas how to solve it without assuming that for the cable?

codywookman said:
I guess I forgot to write in the problem that the only force we are looking for is the vertical force exerted on the front axle of the plane due to it rotating downward so quickly. I misjudged the effect that the cable would contribute so much more to this effect if it were rigid instead of elastic. Any ideas how to solve it without assuming that for the cable?

Is this a homework problem, or something your just trying to solve. This isn't the kind of problem you use the basic equations you're trying to use. You're not even going to be close.

Related to Aircraft Carrier Forces on Impact

1. What is the purpose of aircraft carriers in military operations?

Aircraft carriers are large warships designed to carry and deploy military aircraft. They serve as mobile bases for air operations and can project power across large distances, making them an essential component of modern naval warfare.

2. How do aircraft carriers impact military strategy?

Aircraft carriers play a crucial role in military strategy by providing a flexible and mobile platform for air operations. They allow for rapid response to changing situations and can project power in areas that may not have land-based airfields.

3. How many aircraft can an aircraft carrier hold?

The number of aircraft an aircraft carrier can hold varies depending on its size and design. On average, a modern aircraft carrier can hold between 60-90 aircraft, including fighter jets, helicopters, and support aircraft.

4. How does an aircraft carrier protect itself from enemy attacks?

Aircraft carriers have various defense mechanisms, including surface-to-air missiles, anti-aircraft guns, and electronic warfare systems. They also have a sophisticated command and control system to coordinate defensive measures with other ships and aircraft in the carrier strike group.

5. How does an aircraft carrier impact global politics?

Aircraft carriers are seen as symbols of military power and influence. They can project a country's military presence and serve as a deterrent to potential adversaries. The presence of aircraft carriers in a particular region can also affect diplomatic relations and international alliances.