Airborne Laser Testbed: Physics & Why Airborne?

• Thread starter v_pino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of information on the physics of the airborne laser testbed, and questions why it is referred to as "airborne" when all lasers are technically airborne. The conversation also includes a link to a website for the testbed and a humorous comment about lasers. It is noted that the person may have mistaken the term "airborne" to mean that the laser propagates through air, rather than being deployed from an aeroplane. It is also mentioned that the poster's age and education level may have contributed to this misunderstanding.
v_pino
Is there any information on the physics of the airborne laser testbed available?

Also, why is it 'airborne'? Is it referring to the laser? But aren't all lasers airborne?

Thanks x

Science news on Phys.org
Do you mean this:?
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/abl/index.html

Not all lasers are airborne- well, the ones in my lab are when I get p!ssed at them...

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Resnick said:
Not all lasers are airborne- well, the ones in my lab are when I get p!ssed at them...

:smile:

Obviously, V_pino has mistaken "airborne" to mean that the laser propagates through air. The fact that it refers to the weapon being deployed from an aeroplane seems to have eluded him. Depending upon his age and education level, that might be an understandable error.

Danger said:
Depending upon his age and education level, that might be an understandable error.

#include "English_is_my_2nd_language.h"

Borek said:
#include "English_is_my_2nd_language.h"

Quite right. Sometimes I overlook that possibility when the poster's spelling and grammar are good. :redface:

Related to Airborne Laser Testbed: Physics & Why Airborne?

1. What is the Airborne Laser Testbed (ALTB)?

The Airborne Laser Testbed (ALTB) is a high-energy laser weapon system developed by the United States Air Force and Boeing that is mounted on a modified Boeing 747-400F aircraft. It was designed to demonstrate the feasibility of using a laser to shoot down ballistic missiles in their boost phase.

2. How does the ALTB work?

The ALTB uses a chemical oxygen iodine laser (COIL) to produce a high-energy laser beam. The laser beam is then directed through a turret mounted on the nose of the aircraft, which can rotate 360 degrees. The turret also contains a tracking system that can lock onto and track a target, allowing the laser to accurately hit its intended target.

3. What are the advantages of using an airborne laser system?

An airborne laser system, like the ALTB, has several advantages over ground-based systems. It has a much wider field of view, allowing it to track and engage multiple targets simultaneously. It also has greater range and mobility, as the aircraft can be positioned in optimal locations to intercept threats. Additionally, an airborne laser system has the potential to be more cost-effective and efficient compared to traditional missile defense systems.

4. What are the challenges of developing an airborne laser system?

The main challenge in developing an airborne laser system is the weight and size limitations of the aircraft. The laser, turret, and tracking system must all be compact and lightweight enough to be mounted on the aircraft without affecting its flight capabilities. Additionally, the laser must be powerful enough to effectively destroy its intended targets while being able to operate at high altitudes.

5. What are the potential applications of the ALTB technology?

The ALTB technology has potential applications beyond missile defense. It could also be used for precision strike missions, such as taking out specific targets on the ground or in the air. It could also be used for space debris removal, as the laser could be used to disable or destroy debris in orbit. Additionally, the technology could have civilian applications such as remote sensing and atmospheric research.