Air quantity to blow up a tyre

• I
  • Thread starter Andrea Vironda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, if you want to calculate the flow rate through a valve, you need to know the pressure difference across the valve and the relationship between pressure drop and flow rate.
Andrea Vironda
Hi
i would to know how to predict the air quantity need to blow up a definite-shaped object, like a tyre, to a certain pressure.
i would to apply the ideal gas law, i should obtain something like P/m=cost.
is it correct? i supposed temperature and volume constant

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrea Vironda said:
apply the ideal gas law
And the equation is...?
Andrea Vironda said:
supposed temperature and volume constant
The temperature will not be constant during pressurisation, but you can suppose it returns to the original temperature eventually.

Do you know the approximate internal volume of an inflated tire, or how it might be determined?

the Volume of a inflated tyre can be seen as a torus. The equation i would use is PV=mRT, with R the specific air constant, 287 J/(Kg*K)
at P_0=1 bar i have a certain air mass. if i double it, i'll double also the pressure. is it correct?

Andrea Vironda said:
if i double it, i'll double also the pressure. is it correct?

Yes, so long as the tyre has not expanded much.

i wish to calculate the flow passing from an high pressure source to the tyre. I think it is only function of ΔP.
should i use Bernoulli for finding speed and Q=A*v, [m3/s]?

Andrea Vironda said:
i wish to calculate the flow passing from an high pressure source to the tyre. I think it is only function of ΔP.
should i use Bernoulli for finding speed and Q=A*v, [m3/s]?
As I mentioned, you cannot assume constant temperature during pressurisation. The air will heat up, producing some pushback and slowing the flow. Not completely adiabatic, but probably closer to that than to isothermal.

I think adiabatic is better. but how can i link a thermodynamic process to the flow speed? if i use, for example, the P-T relation for an adiabatic process, i have not any info about speed

Andrea Vironda said:
I think adiabatic is better. but how can i link a thermodynamic process to the flow speed? if i use, for example, the P-T relation for an adiabatic process, i have not any info about speed
The flow through the valve is dominated by viscous friction, so the Bernoulli equation is not appropriate. The rate of flow through the valve is going to depend on the pressure difference across the valve. The relationship between pressure drop and flow rate needs to be quantified experimentally.

Related to Air quantity to blow up a tyre

1. How much air is needed to fill a tyre?

The amount of air needed to fill a tyre varies depending on the size and type of tyre. On average, a standard car tyre requires between 30-35 psi (pounds per square inch) of air to be properly inflated.

2. Can I overinflate a tyre by adding too much air?

Yes, it is possible to overinflate a tyre by adding too much air. This can lead to decreased handling and increased risk of a blowout. It is important to refer to the recommended psi for your specific tyre and avoid overinflating.

3. How do I know when a tyre is properly inflated?

A tyre is considered properly inflated when it reaches the recommended psi for that specific tyre. You can use a pressure gauge to check the psi or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines. The tyre should also have a uniform and round shape when properly inflated.

4. What happens if I drive with underinflated tyres?

Driving with underinflated tyres can lead to decreased fuel efficiency, uneven wear on the tyre, and decreased handling. It can also increase the risk of a blowout. It is important to regularly check and maintain proper tyre inflation.

5. Can I use any type of air source to fill my tyres?

It is recommended to use a designated air source, such as an air compressor or a gas station air pump, to fill your tyres. These sources provide regulated and clean air, ensuring proper inflation. Using alternative sources, such as a bicycle pump, may not provide enough air or could introduce contaminants into the tyre.