Air pressure from a ceiling fan.

In summary: If the room has a heater, the pressure will be a bit higher near the ceiling. The fan will push some of the air from the ceiling towards the floor, increasing the pressure there. The opposite happens near the floor, decreasing the pressure there.In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of ceiling and exhaust fans on air pressure in a room. It is determined that a ceiling fan would not significantly change average pressure, but may cause differences in pressure between different parts of the room. It is also suggested that an exhaust fan in a sealed room would lower pressure by removing air. Further discussion involves the relationship between fan usage and temperature, with the suggestion that the ideal gas law may be relevant.
Andrew123
I think a ceiling fan would increase air pressure in a room, whilst an exhaust fan would decrease pressure if it was withdrawing air from the room. However with an exhaust fan, If the room was sealed off, wouldn't air tend to flow inwards through the exhaust fan as well in an attempt to equalize the pressure? Cheers.. just curious :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Also is the temperature colder in low pressure because their are less air molecules interacting without skin and hence less warmth imparted upon us?

Andrew123 said:
I think a ceiling fan would increase air pressure in a room, whilst an exhaust fan would decrease pressure if it was withdrawing air from the room.

A regular ceiling fan will not either increase nor decrease pressure; it just moves the air around. In a sealed room, an exhaust fan of sufficient capacity would lower the pressure, since it removes air from the room. That's pretty much how a vacuum chamber works.
I don't know the answer to your second post, but I suspect that you're correct.

would the fan impart some kinetic energy onto the air molecules which would increase pressure?

Are you familiar with the ideal gas law, PV=nRT? (If not, you should make yourself familiar with it!)

Hi Hurky!

Andrew123 said:
I think a ceiling fan would increase air pressure in a room,

It would not change average pressure, but it will make pressure between parts of the room to differ.

Related to Air pressure from a ceiling fan.

What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air in the atmosphere. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or Pascals (Pa).

How does a ceiling fan affect air pressure?

A ceiling fan creates air movement by spinning its blades, which in turn, can create changes in air pressure. As the blades move, they push air downward, creating areas of lower air pressure above the fan and higher air pressure below it.

What is the ideal height for a ceiling fan?

The ideal height for a ceiling fan is typically between 8-9 feet from the floor to the blades. This allows for optimal air circulation without causing discomfort or noise.

Can a ceiling fan help with air circulation and ventilation in a room?

Yes, a ceiling fan can help with air circulation and ventilation in a room. By creating air movement, a ceiling fan can help distribute air throughout a room, improving overall air quality and reducing stuffiness.

Can a ceiling fan affect the temperature in a room?

Yes, a ceiling fan can affect the temperature in a room. When the blades rotate counterclockwise, they push cool air down, creating a wind-chill effect that can make a room feel cooler. However, a ceiling fan does not actually change the temperature, it only creates the sensation of a cooler environment.