Air Pressure Drop Problem: Solutions Explored

In summary, the air pressure drop is unacceptable and a separate regulator is needed to avoid damage to other components in the system.
JimatDAC
I am having a problem with an air pressure drop. I have a supply of 100psi of around 4scfm. I have it regulated down to 90psi, but when I turn on an air turbine motor my regulated pressure drops momentarily (1-2sec) down to 80psi. This drop in pressure is unacceptable to other components in my system. Do I need to to run a separate regulator, or can I put an accumulator into the line to take up this sudden demand on available air?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

How does the air turbine motor get turned on? Is there a valve too far from it that some tubing has to fill with air before it starts the turbine motor? Can you make the valve open slower? An accumulator should definitely help, as should a regulator. Or even an orifice or other flow restriction like a circuit setter, calibrated to only let the required flow for the turbine motor through.

Thanks Russ. The turbine gets started via a solenoid through 4' of 1/2" air line. I used to use smaller diameter air line (which worked like a restrictor), but changed to larger air line when having intermittent problems with turbine not starting. Now, I have the turbine starting everytime, but other components in the system can't tolerate the drop in pressure.

The drop in pressure caused by the increase in flow through the regulator is called droop, falloff and probably a few other things. It's caused by the fact that as more flow demand is put on the regulator, the valve poppet must open further to maintain pressure and increase flow. But the reg is most likely spring loaded and the spring load is a function of how far the spring has to extend. Even for fairly small movements of the poppet, the spring load (F = k dx) can change significantly, and as it does, the pressure opposing the spring (pressure on the diaphragm) has to change with it. So the pressure drops as the spring load falls off and the poppet opens.

Yes, the easiest thing to do is simply add another regulator to either the turbine or the rest of your system that can't tolerate the pressure drop.

There are other solutions such as
  1. increasing upstream pressure on the regulator
  2. install a more sensitive spring loaded regulator
  3. install a dome loaded regulator
  4. install a control valve
but I suspect those aren't as practical as simply adding another reg.

Problem solved

Thanks Goest for your explanation. You hit the nail on the head with what is going on. The momentary drop in air pressure caused a pressure sensor to send a signal to the PLC telling everything else to stop due to the pressure loss. I installed a sensor with a time delay or 2 seconds, and since the droop is less then that, I am good to go. Thanks again.

Related to Air Pressure Drop Problem: Solutions Explored

1. What is Air Pressure Drop Problem?

Air pressure drop problem refers to the decrease in air pressure within a system, which can have negative effects on the performance and efficiency of various industrial processes. It can be caused by factors such as leaks, blockages, or changes in temperature.

2. What are the consequences of Air Pressure Drop Problem?

The consequences of air pressure drop problem can vary depending on the specific system and application. However, common consequences include reduced airflow, decreased efficiency, increased energy consumption, and potential damage to equipment.

3. How can Air Pressure Drop Problem be identified?

Air pressure drop problem can be identified through various methods such as pressure gauges, flow meters, and visual inspections. It is important to regularly monitor air pressure levels and check for any abnormalities or changes in the system.

4. What are some solutions for Air Pressure Drop Problem?

Some solutions for air pressure drop problem include identifying and fixing any leaks or blockages, adjusting system settings and controls, and implementing regular maintenance and cleaning procedures. In some cases, upgrading to more efficient equipment or systems may also be necessary.

5. How can Air Pressure Drop Problem be prevented?

Air pressure drop problem can be prevented by implementing proper maintenance and cleaning procedures, regularly monitoring and adjusting system settings, and investing in high-quality equipment that is designed for efficient airflow. It is also important to identify and address any potential issues before they escalate into larger problems.