Air flow between two different pressures

In summary, the conversation discusses a project that involves solving for the diameter of a small hole in a chamber to achieve a specific volume of air to be deflated in 5 minutes. The force causing the deflation is a 120 mm Hg pressure difference between two chambers, one at atmospheric pressure. The suggested approach is to use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the velocity of the air and then use the volume, flow rate, and velocity to determine the necessary hole diameter. The speaker also clarifies their understanding of the equation and expresses gratitude for the help.
Air_flow
I have a problem for a project I'm doing:
I have one chamber that is 120 mm Hg higher than another chamber(which is at atmospheric pressure) and is slowly being deflated. Force being applied causes this 120 pressure difference, and is constantly being applied. The 2nd chamber will always be atmospheric, as the added air will not make a difference. I have a starting volume of the higher pressure chamber, but as the chamber is deflating, the volume will change. I want the volume to completely deflate in 5 min, and i will be solving for the diameter hole i need for this to happen. The volume is small, and the hole will be extremely small. How would I do this? Thank you for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming no other losses, apply Bernoulli's equation to all of that static pressure difference to dynamic pressure and calculate the associated velocity of the air. Then its just volume divided by flow rate divided by velocity to get area.

So if you have a volume of .10508 in^3 that you want to deflate in 300 s, that is 3.502666 X 10^-4 in^3/s for a flow rate. The pressure difference starts at 120 mm Hg, the air density is about 1.2 kg/m^3. What would you get for the hole diameter? or what exactly will the equation look like, i am not very familiar with Bernoulli's equation. I just want to make sure I do this right, thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Related to Air flow between two different pressures

What is the definition of "air flow between two different pressures"?

Air flow between two different pressures refers to the movement of air from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure. This occurs naturally due to the principle of air seeking equilibrium.

What factors affect air flow between two different pressures?

The rate of air flow between two different pressures is influenced by a few key factors, including the pressure difference, the temperature and density of the air, and any obstacles or restrictions in the air passage.

How is air flow between two different pressures measured?

Air flow between two different pressures can be measured using various instruments such as an anemometer or a pitot tube. These tools measure the speed and direction of the air flow and can calculate the volume of air passing through a given area over a period of time.

What are some real-world applications of understanding air flow between two different pressures?

Understanding air flow between two different pressures is crucial in many industries, including HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), aerodynamics, and pneumatics. It is also important in everyday activities such as weather forecasting and air quality control.

How is air flow between two different pressures controlled or manipulated?

Air flow between two different pressures can be controlled or manipulated through various methods such as using valves, fans, or compressors. These tools can adjust the pressure difference or the rate of air flow to achieve the desired outcome.