Air Density: How to calculate Relative Humidity

In summary, air density is the measure of the amount of air molecules present in a given volume of air and can be affected by temperature, pressure, and moisture content. It can be calculated using the ideal gas law and is important in industries such as aviation and meteorology. Relative humidity, on the other hand, is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to its maximum capacity at a given temperature and is expressed as a percentage. It can be calculated using a formula and is important for predicting weather patterns and understanding gases in different environments.
Pooven
Hi there,

I'm trying to calculate air density; I noticed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density#Density_of_air" that there is a table that makes it seem that air density is a function of temperature... I suppose I could safely say that temperature has a significant effect on air density? What error could one expect if they had to use measurements from this table?

Anyway, I know that humidity plays an important role in air density and there's a nice formula on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_of_air#Water_vapor": ρhumid air = pd/Rd.T + pv/Rv.T.

This seems like it's the only way to calculate the density of humid air. I have temperature, absolute humidity and ambient pressure of the system (all in the appropriate SI unit). This is insufficient information to calculate the relative humidity as specified on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_humidity" .

I understand that vapour pressure readings can be taken from steam tables to calculate the saturated vapour pressure. But then everything gets really blurry. But before I get into that... I saw this example from http://www.cheresources.com/questions/thermodynamics-41.html" that suggests that I can calculate the relative humidity from the absolute humidity... I haven't come across anything else that explicitly linked the two so I'd like to know if the answer is sound. The equation given was:

Humidityabsolute=Humiditysaturation * RelativeHumidity/100

Can anyone please advise if this would be a valid?

Kind regards
Pooven

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Pooven,

You are correct in saying that air density is affected by temperature, as well as other factors such as humidity. The table on Wikipedia provides a general guideline for air density at different temperatures, but it is not a precise measurement. The actual air density at a given temperature will vary depending on the specific conditions of the air, such as humidity, pressure, and altitude.

In order to calculate the air density more accurately, you will need to consider the effects of humidity. The formula you mentioned, ρhumid air = pd/Rd.T + pv/Rv.T, takes into account the partial pressures of both dry air and water vapor. However, as you mentioned, this formula requires knowledge of the relative humidity, which can be difficult to determine without proper equipment.

The equation given from the example on cheresources.com is valid, as it takes into account the relationship between absolute humidity and relative humidity. However, this equation may not be accurate in all cases as it assumes that the air is at its saturation point. It is always best to use more precise calculations and measurements when possible.

In summary, while the table on Wikipedia provides a general idea of air density at different temperatures, it is not a precise measurement. To calculate air density more accurately, you will need to consider the effects of humidity and use appropriate equations and measurements. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Air Density: How to calculate Relative Humidity

What is air density?

Air density is the measure of the amount of air molecules present in a given volume of air. It is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and moisture content.

How is air density calculated?

Air density can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure and temperature are directly proportional to density. The formula for calculating air density is: density = (pressure * molecular weight) / (gas constant * temperature).

What is relative humidity?

Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor that the air can hold at a given temperature. It is expressed as a percentage.

How is relative humidity calculated?

Relative humidity can be calculated using the following formula: relative humidity = (actual water vapor pressure / saturation water vapor pressure) * 100%. Actual water vapor pressure can be measured using a psychrometer, while saturation water vapor pressure can be calculated using the temperature and air pressure.

Why is it important to know air density and relative humidity?

Knowing air density and relative humidity is important for various reasons. It can help in predicting weather patterns, determining air quality, and understanding the behavior of gases in different environments. It is also crucial in industries such as aviation, agriculture, and meteorology.