Air Compressor Capacity in CFM

In summary,The problem is that the first time user doesn't have the dimensions of the tubes yet, so they need to purchase an air compressor to supply the air to the new system. They know that they will need to supply 10,560 liters/hr at 116 PSI of pressure and they need to calculate the capacity of the air compressor. They say that 6.21 CFM seems too little and they need to find a compressor that can handle a higher flow rate.
dtaftm
Hi,

First time user here.

I was hoping someone could help me calculate the CFM of air needed for an Air Compressor to air-clean 16 tubes. The Compressor is connected to a header that has 116 PSI of Pressure. The header is connected to 16 thin pipes that have nozzle tips with a 1.5 inch diameter. The nozzles release air in sequence, one at a time. We are counting on 220 liters per valve with 3 releases per hour. In other words 660 liters per hour per valve.

Thank you

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would do the following:

(a) Figure out the volume of each tube.
(b) Divide the volume in Part (a) by 1/2 second. This will be your actual flow rate per tube.
(c) Convert your flow rate in part (b) to standard conditions.
(d) Establish the time interval between each tube firing.
(f) Multiply the volume in Step (a) by 16.
(g) Multiply the time interval in Step (d) by 16.
(h) Divide the volume in Step (f) by the time in Step (g).
(i) Convert your flow rate in part (h) to standard conditions.
(j) Size your compressor for the larger flow rate from Step (c) or (i). Include a safety factor between 1.25 to 1.75 depending on how confident you are in your input.

Thanks Edge,
The problem is that I don´t have the dimensions of the tubes yet.
Here´s the situation. I need to purchase an Air Compressor to supply the air to the new system that we´re going to implement. I know that we will need to supply 10,560 liters/hr at 116 PSI of pressure. Can I calculate the capacity of the air compressor that I will need to supply that much air to the system with just that info. I´m getting 6.21 CFM which seems way to little.
Thanks

dtaftm said:
Thanks Edge,
The problem is that I don´t have the dimensions of the tubes yet.
Here´s the situation. I need to purchase an Air Compressor to supply the air to the new system that we´re going to implement. I know that we will need to supply 10,560 liters/hr at 116 PSI of pressure. Can I calculate the capacity of the air compressor that I will need to supply that much air to the system with just that info. I´m getting 6.21 CFM which seems way to little.
Thanks
Your 10,560 liter/hr = 6.21 is your "actual" flow rate. Compressors will be rated for "standard" flow rate. You can convert your actual flow to standard with:

Standard Flow Rate = [itex]\frac{T_{STD}}{T_{ACT}}[/itex][itex]\frac{P_{ACT}}{T_{STD}}[/itex] Actual Flow Rate

T_STD = 60 degF
P_STD = 14.7 psia
P_ACT = (116 + 14.7) psia
T_ACT = your actual flowing temperature

Great, Thanks for your help Edge.

Many compressors don't like a high duty cycle, something like 40% comes to mind. Too many starts per hour should also be avoided, so be sure to size your storage tank to accommodate both factors depending on the motor and compressor selected.

Thanks Mike

Related to Air Compressor Capacity in CFM

What is an air compressor's capacity in CFM?

An air compressor's capacity in CFM refers to its volume flow rate, or the amount of compressed air that it can produce in a given time. CFM stands for cubic feet per minute.

How is CFM calculated for an air compressor?

CFM is calculated by multiplying the compressor's displacement, or the volume of air it can compress in one rotation, by its rotational speed in rotations per minute (RPM). This number is then divided by the compressor's compression ratio and corrected for standard temperature and pressure.

What factors influence an air compressor's CFM?

The size and design of the compressor's motor, the size and design of the compressor's pump, and the compressor's operating pressure all influence its CFM. Other factors such as air temperature and humidity can also affect CFM.

Why is CFM an important consideration when choosing an air compressor?

CFM is an important consideration because it determines how quickly and efficiently an air compressor can deliver compressed air. If the CFM is too low for the intended use, the compressor may not be able to keep up with demand and may run constantly, leading to increased energy costs and wear and tear on the machine.

How can I calculate the CFM I need for my specific application?

To determine the CFM needed for your specific application, you will need to consider the air tools or equipment you will be using and their CFM requirements, as well as any potential future needs. It is recommended to choose an air compressor with a CFM rating that is at least 1.5 times higher than the highest CFM requirement of your tools or equipment.