Air Cannon Physics: Pot. Energy & Barrel Depth

In summary, the conversation is about building an air cannon for a physics assignment and determining the effects of chamber pressure, barrel length, and depth of the projectile on muzzle velocity. The person is struggling to find relevant equations and is seeking help with the potential energy of compressed air and the theory behind the depth of the object in the barrel. A suggestion is made to use pressure as a solution and consider the pressure difference between inside and outside the barrel to determine the force exerted on the object.
physicsisrad

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I'm currently working on an air cannon for my physics assignment. We are attempting to determine the effects of chamber pressure, barrel length and the depth of the projectile into the barrel on the muzzle velocity of the fired object. Now I'm not asking for a solution, but I am struggling to find the relevant equations that I require in order to do some pre-testing calculations. If somebody could help me out in regards to the equation for the potential energy held by a volume of compressed air and also if somebody could offer some background theory in regards to the depth of the object into the barrel this would also be appreciated.
Cheers,
physicsisrad

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not deal with this problem using pressures? In particular, the pressure of the air inside the barrel versus the pressure outside the barrel (atmospheric). This will determine the amount of force the air will exert on the object, dependent upon of course the objects exposed surface area.

Related to Air Cannon Physics: Pot. Energy & Barrel Depth

1. What is an air cannon and how does it work?

An air cannon is a device that uses compressed air to launch objects at high speeds. The cannon works by storing potential energy in the compressed air, which is released when a valve is opened and the air expands rapidly, propelling the object out of the cannon.

2. How is potential energy related to the performance of an air cannon?

Potential energy is directly related to the performance of an air cannon. The more potential energy that is stored in the compressed air, the more force will be applied to the object, resulting in a higher velocity and longer range.

3. Does the barrel depth of an air cannon affect its performance?

Yes, the barrel depth of an air cannon can greatly affect its performance. The barrel acts as a guide for the compressed air to propel the object, and a longer barrel will allow for a longer acceleration time, resulting in a higher velocity and longer range.

4. How can I calculate the potential energy of an air cannon?

The potential energy of an air cannon can be calculated using the formula PE=0.5 x m x v^2, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object. This formula takes into account the kinetic energy of the object as it is propelled by the compressed air.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using an air cannon?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using an air cannon. This includes wearing protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, and ensuring that the cannon is pointed in a safe direction. It is also important to properly pressurize the cannon and use appropriate objects for launching.