AH physics exam tomorrow - help with waves question? thanks

In summary, the question is asking if two light waves will always interfere destructively if the optical path difference between them is lambda/2. The 2007 past paper question 10 suggests that this is true, but the person asking the question is unsure. They are seeking clarification on whether a phase change of pi at one surface of one wave and no phase change on the other wave will always result in destructive interference. They are also wondering what other parameters of the waves could make this statement untrue.
ah4p

1. Homework Statement

If the optical path diff between two light waves is lambda/2 will they always interfere destructively? if this in true then wherever one wave undergoes aphase change of pi at one surface and the second wave does not then these two will always interfere destructively?

that's what the 2007 past paper question 10 suggests but i didnt think this was true
SQA answers:
ad%26pid%3D3%26fid%3DSent%26inline%3D1%26appid%3Dyahoomail&hash=dbf351e27334342ee385cb2d687ed0ba.png
https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f2%5f4065%5fAGtL2kIAAA9%2bVUfn%2fgyiYFWt%2bYk&m=YaDownload&pid=3&fid=Sent&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

Homework Equations

In the attached question and SQA marking scheme

The Attempt at a Solution

If the optical path diff between two light waves is lambda/2 will they always interfere destructively? if this in true then wherever one wave undergoes aphase change of pi at one surface and the second wave does not then these two will always interfere destructively?[/B]thanks so much for any help - exam tomorrow :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What other parameter(s) of the waves would make this statement untrue?

Related to AH physics exam tomorrow - help with waves question? thanks

1. What is the best way to study for the AH physics exam?

The best way to study for the AH physics exam is to review all of your notes and practice problems, as well as to work through any past exam papers. It is also helpful to create study guides and flashcards to review key concepts.

2. How can I prepare for the waves question on the AH physics exam?

To prepare for the waves question, it is important to review the properties of waves, including frequency, wavelength, and amplitude. You should also practice using equations such as the wave equation and the speed of a wave equation. Additionally, make sure to understand the differences between transverse and longitudinal waves.

3. Can you provide an example of a waves question that may be on the AH physics exam?

Sure, an example of a waves question could be: "A student creates a wave in a rope by quickly shaking their hand up and down. If the frequency of the wave is 10 Hz and the wavelength is 0.5 meters, what is the speed of the wave?"

4. What should I do if I don't understand a particular concept related to waves?

If you are having trouble understanding a particular concept related to waves, it is important to reach out to your teacher or a classmate for help. You can also look for online resources such as videos or tutorials to help clarify the concept.

5. How can I manage my time effectively during the AH physics exam?

To manage your time effectively during the AH physics exam, it is helpful to create a plan beforehand. Allocate a certain amount of time for each section or question, and make sure to stick to it. If you get stuck on a question, move on to the next one and come back to it later. Also, make sure to leave some time at the end to review your answers.