Age of Seashell: Calculating 14-C Half Life

In summary, the amount of 14-C in a living seashell that is of the same size as a fossil with a half-life of 5570 years is 90%. This means that the seashell is approximately 847 years old. To determine how long it took for the 14-C to diminish from its initial value to 99% of that, we can use the same decay constant of 1.24x10^-4. This gives a time of approximately 81.1 years, which is slightly less than one tenth of the time it took for the first 10% of 14-C to decay. However, it is important to keep a higher accuracy for the decay constant in order to get a more
matt222

Homework Statement

seashell HAVE 90% of 14-C as a livining shell of the same size half life is 5570 years, how old is it in years

how many yrs did it take for 14-C to diminish from its initial value to 99% of that?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first part of problem 90% N0=N0exp(-kt), where k is decay constant from this k=1.24x10^-4
so t=847 years

for the second part of the problem we have the same decay constant k, so 99%N0=N0exp(-kt)

so for t I got t=81.1years

I think the first part is ok but i am not sure i about the second one

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. Is your 3 digit accuracy for k sufficient? If I were you, I would keep about 5 digit accuracy because exponent accuracy strongly affects the accuracy of the power.

but it confused me the second part I am not sure about it 81 years compared to 847 years

I get 80.8 rather than 81.1, keeping all the digits on my calculator until rounding the final answer. You don't say what you are confused about. If you mean losing 1% in one tenth the time it loses 10%, that seems almost too reasonable to be true. Normally you can't trust your intuition on non-linear functions. It might be worth graphing the decay function on your calculator or computer to see if the function is fairly linear in that range.

Your calculations for the first part of the problem seem to be correct. The age of the seashell can be estimated to be approximately 847 years old based on the given information.

For the second part of the problem, your approach is correct but your calculation seems to be off. Using the same decay constant, k=1.24x10^-4, the time it would take for 14-C to diminish from its initial value to 99% of that would be approximately 4418 years. This can be calculated using the formula t = ln(0.01)/(-k), where ln is the natural logarithm.

I would also like to mention that these calculations are based on the assumption that the seashell has been in a constant environment and has not undergone any external changes that could affect the 14-C levels. Additionally, there may be some experimental error in the initial 14-C levels of the seashell, which could affect the accuracy of the calculations.

Related to Age of Seashell: Calculating 14-C Half Life

1. What is the "Age of Seashell" and why is it important?

The "Age of Seashell" refers to the estimated age of a particular seashell based on the half-life of carbon-14 (14-C) isotopes present in its composition. This is important because it allows scientists to determine the age of geological and archaeological samples, as well as track changes in the Earth's climate and environment over time.

2. How does the calculation of 14-C half-life work?

The calculation of 14-C half-life is based on the principle that all living organisms contain a certain amount of carbon-14, which is constantly replenished through the atmosphere. When an organism dies, the amount of 14-C begins to decrease at a known rate (half-life) due to radioactive decay. By measuring the amount of 14-C remaining in a sample, scientists can calculate the time that has passed since the organism's death.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of 14-C half-life calculations?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of 14-C half-life calculations, including changes in the Earth's magnetic field, which can alter the rate of 14-C production; the presence of contamination in the sample; and the use of incorrect calibration curves or methods for calculating the age.

4. How do scientists determine the initial amount of 14-C in a sample?

Scientists use a process called "radiocarbon dating" to determine the initial amount of 14-C in a sample. This involves measuring the amount of 14-C remaining in the sample and comparing it to the amount of stable carbon isotopes (such as 12-C and 13-C) to calculate the initial 14-C concentration. This can then be used to determine the age of the sample.

5. What other techniques can be used to determine the age of seashells besides 14-C half-life calculations?

Other techniques used to determine the age of seashells include dendrochronology (tree-ring dating), which uses the growth rings in trees to establish a timeline; varve chronology, which analyzes sediment layers in lakes to determine age; and uranium-series dating, which uses the decay of uranium isotopes to determine the age of calcium carbonate in shells. These techniques are often used in combination with 14-C half-life calculations to provide a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the age of seashells.