Age of rocks calculation - I only need little help

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the number of half lives that have passed since a particular rock was formed, based on the ratio of lead-207 to uranium-235 in a sample of the rock. The individual is seeking help in understanding how to turn the ratio into actual numbers in order to solve the question. Through a formula, it is determined that 5 half lives have passed since the rock was formed.
wannie112
How many half lives have passed since a particular rock was formed if a sample of the rock contains 31 times as much lead-207 than uranium-235?
I know that I need to do a table and calculate
I know how to do this question but the thing I need help on is how do I know the number of atoms in order to do a table and calculate. Like I have the ratio of parents:daughter isotope which is 1:31 right? but how do I do this? Just tell me how and I will do it myself. Actually I don't know physics, I'm studying it all by myself and I got this question from my friend's homework and I'm stuck on it, there are 3 questions like it and I need help on how to turn this ratio into actual numbers in order to calculate how many half lives have passed. If I don't need to turn it into numbers then please tell me how do I solve this question? Thank you :)

EDIT: okay so that's what I did is this correct?

1 - 31 half lives=5
2 - 30 half lives=4
4 - 28 half lives=3
8 - 24 half lives=2
16 - 16 half lives=1
32 - 0 half lives=0
so 5 half lives have passed
Correct??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
5 half lives is correct.

ehild

Last edited:
Hmm? You didn't really explain anything...how did you get to 32? I got to 5.

I meant 5, sorry... As the original amount decreased to 1/32-th.

hild

oo thank you :)..and my way is correct do I have to do any formulas?
Thank you very much ^^

The daughter atoms present + number of un-decayed U235 atoms=N(0):
31N + N =N(0)

The number of un-decayed isotopes present at time t is

N(t)=N(0) (1/2)t/halflife,

where N(0) is the number initially.

N=N(0)/32, 32 =25, ...
ehild

I see :D Now I understand everything, thank you!

Related to Age of rocks calculation - I only need little help

1. How do scientists determine the age of rocks?

Scientists determine the age of rocks through a process known as radiometric dating. This involves measuring the amount of radioactive elements in a rock sample and comparing it to the amount of stable elements. By knowing the rate of decay for the radioactive element, scientists can calculate the age of the rock.

2. What are some methods used for age calculation of rocks?

Aside from radiometric dating, scientists also use methods such as relative dating, which involves examining the layers of sedimentary rocks and determining their relative ages. Another method is using index fossils, which are fossils that are only found in a specific time period and can be used to date the rocks they are found in.

3. Are there limitations to age calculations of rocks?

Yes, there are limitations to age calculations of rocks. Radiometric dating can only be used on igneous rocks, and even then, there may be issues with contamination or incomplete data. Relative dating can also be affected by factors such as erosion and tectonic activity.

4. How accurate are age calculations of rocks?

The accuracy of age calculations of rocks depends on the method used and the quality of the data. Radiometric dating can be accurate within a few percentage points, while relative dating can give a general idea of the age but may not be as precise. It is important for scientists to use multiple methods and cross-check their results for more accurate age calculations.

5. Why is it important to calculate the age of rocks?

Determining the age of rocks is important for understanding the Earth's history and the processes that have shaped it. It can also help scientists in fields such as geology, paleontology, and archaeology to better understand the timing and relationships between events and species. Age calculations of rocks also play a crucial role in industries such as mining and oil exploration.